Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW files grainy

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody! 

I updated my old lightroom some days ago but now whien I import my RAW files in lightroom 2024 (Mac OS version) they are VERY grainy. If I apply "AI delay noise" the pictures turns normal but my question is: is that normal? How can I fix the problem? I do not want to apply the "delay noise" everytime and to all pictures as it is really a waste of time! 

Can someone help me?

Thank you! 

Cinzia  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Camera type? ISO?

Have you tried using the LrC "Camera Standard Profile"?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)? What version NUMBER?

Please show us a screen capture of one of these grainy photos as it appears in the Develop Module. We need to see the entire develop module screen. Please use the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen capture in your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

thank you for trying to help me! 

here you find 2 screenshoots: the first i hope you can see the grain, the second one is after the application of AI noise reduction (or DENOISE AI, my LrC is only in Italian, sorry). 

I'm sure that the image produced from my camera has not that grain as I already imported it in my MAC before the updating of Lightroom. 

Shoot with Nikon Z6ii, ISO 800 (I also shot at ISO 1250 with NO grain/noise)

Lightroom Classic last release 13.2

The picture has been imported with NO presets or develepment settings, as far as I know. 

Thank you! 

Cinzia 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the pictures. Like someone else mentioned, I can't see the noise issue.  May be you have a better monitor than I do.

In trying to help, I found a post where it was stated "So, for the Z6II the best ISO is base 100. But its dual gain crossover is 800. In theory, whilst ISO 100 will always perform the best, the charts will says that when you need to up the ISO you should jump to 800 as it will perform better than the in between ISO values such as 200, 400 etc.

You may want to ask your question on the one of the Nikon forums like Nikonians.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is generally referring to the Dynamic Range of the sensor/camera combination, not noise.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is completely normal noise for the conditions and what you need to realize is that Lightroom shows you the actual noise in the image. The jpeg preview image that is embedded in every raw file and which is what many programs show you is heavily processed by the camera. You don't need to run this through AI denoise. Just optimize the detail and noise reduction sliders and you'll be fine. Nothing wrong with running it through AI denoise but it is not necessarey for very light noise like you see here. Also you can try just applying the camera settings preset to this image. It will apply more aggressive noise reduction based on the settings the camera applied. This can also be achieved by using the preferences to apply camera settings by default. This works really well for the Z6II and will make your images very close to the jpeg preview out of the box. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html That will apply to new imports. For already imported images simply apply the camera settings preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Which version of Lightroom Classic are you using? The current Lightoom Classic versio is 13.2. 
  • When you say "AI delay noise" are you referring to Lightroom Classic  "Enhance ->Denoise"?
  • Are you applying any presets or development settings when you Import your RAW files?
  • Which camera produced the RAW files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With most images, you should be able to just optimize the settings in the detail panel Noise reduction section. Only do that when zoomed to 1:1. Denoise AI is only really needed for images shot in very low light conditions and even there you can usually do just fine with the standard noise reduction. Do know that Lightroom by default applies very moderate noise reduction and many cameras apply extremely aggresive noise reduction to the point of pasting over actual details in your images. Lightroom shows you the actual raw data and you often have to do a bit of optimization of the sharpening and noise reduction settings. Luckily with a small amount of practice this is extremely quick and you can develop some sharpening and noise reduction presets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera type? ISO?

Have you tried using the LrC "Camera Standard Profile"?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Nikon Z6ii ISO 800

I will try your suggestion, thank you! 

Cinzia 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are viewing the image at 173%, which will make the noise more prominent, but I cannot see any noise in the image, and it certainly does not need noise reduction.

When working with noise, sharpening, and other image detail, always view the image at 100%.

This is the only magnification that gives you a true representation of the image, because one screen pixel is used to display one image pixel. Any other magnification will be inaccurate and misleading because the image has been scaled.

In the future, please do not attach screenshots, use the Insert Photos button in the toolbar to insert them directly into your post.

Insert-photos.png

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! 

changing from Adode prest to "Camera Standard Profile" uploading the images the RAW files are NOT grainy! 

thank you so much for hepling me! 

Have  a nice week! 

Cinzia 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines