Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW images change to JPEG when moved

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Support appreciated: I have downloaded RAW images in a folder and created another folder with selected images from the first folder. I couldn't copy them so I 'moved' them. Unfortunately only after editing many photos and wanting to export them I noticed that they were turned into JPEGs!! I need them to be high resolution (15-20MB not 2.5MB). Question: What did I do wrong? Is there a way to 'activate' the RAW image quality without losing all the edits I already did? Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files cannot turn into jpg files, so you have most likely accidentally edited jpg files instead of raw files, and you'll have to locate the raw files.

Unfortunately, you cannot copy the jpg edits to the raw files – the results will not be the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback. I checked the original folder and those exact images were in RAW (CR3). I expect that dragging them into another folder did something to them. It must be something in the settings that converts them and I have no idea what and where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback. I checked the original folder and those exact images were in RAW (CR3). I expect that dragging them into another folder did something to them. It must be something in the settings that converts them and I have no idea what and where.

By @fk_100

Raw files cannot be converted to JPEGs. New JPEGs can be created from raw files by exporting (not simply by dragging), but conversion is absolutely impossible. This sounds like you got a copy of a jpeg preview by dragging the image from the Lightroom Library grid into a folder shown by the MacOS Finder. That is not how you should this.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need them to be high resolution (15-20MB not 2.5MB).

Megabytes are not resolution. The 2.5 MB JPGs are probably high enough quality for almost any use, and however these were converted to JPG, the resolution hasn't changed. Megapixels are resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I need the photos to be sharp enough for a print magazine. Not sure if 2.5 MB is enough... What's your experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I need the photos to be sharp enough for a print magazine. Not sure if 2.5 MB is enough... What's your experience?

By @fk_100

Look at the exported photo with your own eyes. Is it sharp enough?

As I said, you want to pay attention to Megapixels, not megabytes. What are the dimensions (width and height, in pixels) of these exports?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The jpg format uses lossy (destructive) compression in order to create small files.

The file size will vary a great deal, depending on image content.

Images with predominantly smooth, flat or out of focus areas compress well, resulting in relatively small files.

Images with lots of busy sharp detail (or noise) do not compress well, resulting in relatively large files.

So you cannot use the file size of a jpg as an indicator of quality.

The important numbers are the pixel dimensions – that's the resolution, but it doesn't tell you anything about image quality. To evaluate the quality of an image, view it at 100%.

In any case, a jpg is always inferior to a raw file, which gives you a lot of editing headroom, and will give you much better results than an edited jpg. Jpg is a final format, not meant for editing. Every time you save a jpg, the image is degraded by the destructive, cumulative compression. Exporting an edited jpg from LrC is slightly better, because a new image is created when exporting, but not something I'd recommend, especially not for high quality printing.

So use the Finder to search for the raw files, they have not been converted to jpg files, it's not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure this problem out? I just realized the same problem this morning as I was editing imgaes. I was attempting to use the denoise option and it was telling me that I cannot use it on "this photo format". So I looked at the photo format and all the images say jpeg. I move my images from my SD card to a folder on my external hard drive and then upload them using lightrooms add photos option. I am wondering if by me moving them from the SD card to a folder if that is re-formatting them from RAW to jpeg? I've been able to use denoise on other images before but have not paid attention to if it was the way I uploaded them (sometimes I upload straight from the SD card). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer,

No, unfortunately I haven't figured it out. The common feedback is that RAW images cannot get converted into Jpegs. I also feel that it's directly linked to the way they are saved into a folder. It's strange that not more users are having these issues though....

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jennifer_0464 

There is no such thing as "re-formatting them from RAW to JPG". RAW files will stay RAW no matter what you do to them.

A common cause for this is that the camera was (accidentally?) set to take JPG photos. Please check the originals on the camera card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another thought- OP with MacOS-

Maybe the photos were 'imported' into the Mac Photos App (into its hidden library) thus only small JPG preview files are available to import to Lightroom.

MAC HIDES IMAGES IN THE PHOTOS APP

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines