• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAWS were swapped for JPEGs

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experienced this behavior in lightroom?

I opened up the develop module in one of my libraries to discover I was editing a JPEG instead of the RAW (CR2). When navigating to the folder housing all the orignals I discover that it's missing along with a few random other files, but my libary is istill ntact, without errors and it's substituting JPEGs for about 10 of my images, with the RAWS nowhere to be found. Maybe there's a setting I'm not aware about that I am bumping, but this feels like something I would have to intentionally do.

I regularily shoot RAW + JPEG on my camera and load them both in on import (with the setting to nest them both as one image in library view) I'm thankful I still have the JPEG there for the memories, but would prefer to keep the RAWs there forever.

Can anyone tell me how I did this to my library? More importantly, what can I do extra or stop doing to ensure my RAWs always stay put? 

Thanks!

Zach 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not do this.

The most likely explanation is that your accidentally set the camera to take JPGs. There are other possible explanations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing you can do is double check the settings on your camera to ensure that you are shooting in the right format. I agree with the previous comment that Lightroom and LrC will not change the format of your raw images to JPEG. It simply does not happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds very strange indeed. I have never had that happen and have been working with LR since version1, during the dark ages!

TIme to play sleuth:

1.Is this the first time this has happened and when did it start?

2. have you updated any software, systems, or connected hardware?

3. where are your image files stored? Internal drive, external drive?

4. Is this oddity happening to ALL your folderss or just one?

5. in the first sentence you said you were in the devlop module in "one of my libraries" - so do you have multiple libraries?

and are all the libraries stored in the same location (i.e. on the same drive?)

6. Is it possible you have opened a library with just the JPEGS and not linked tothe correct folder of CR2's?

Lightroom wont change your images on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I regularily shoot RAW + JPEG on my camera and load them both in on import 

Check your preferences settings. General tab. Import options, "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos"

see: 

Pretty Presets and Actions | SHOOTING & MANAGING RAW+JPEG FILES IN LIGHTROOM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines