• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving LR files to two different external hard drives

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac. I use Time Machine to save the iMac files to External Drive A automatically. I have External Drive B on which I only want to save, automatically, LR files and photos I have in Finder that my family does not use LR on. Essentially, I want External Drive B to be the back up to Drive A but only have photos (from Finder) and LR adjustments. Am I doing this the correct way by doing the following...

- Use Time Machine to save all files ( which includes Photos in Finder and LR files) onto Drive A automatically. This is my first back up.

- Use LR, when I quit, to save its files to Drive B and then manually (say weekly or as necessary) save photos in Finder to Drive B. This is my second back up but limited to photos and LR files.

Thanks for your time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many photos are you working with? How much disk space do you have on your iMac? Over time you may run out of space on your local drive. Your iMac will perform better with more free space.

Depending on how many photos you are dealing with currently and in the future you might want to consider using Drive A for All of your photos, and Drive B as a backup for your photos and get a separate drive specifically for Time Machine.

Set Lightroom’s Backup on Drive A (or B doesn’t really matter) so that it is not on your local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have 230 GB photos on Finder. My iMac has 1 TB and has 400 GB remaining. My LaCie ext hard drive has 1 TB and is used only for photos.  My thoughts were to continue to use my iMac for the initial photos/LR location with my entire iMac back up onto my primary ext hard drive (2 TB) and a further back up for only photos/LR on my LaCie...

so if Time Machine backs my entire iMac onto my primary 2TB ext hard drive, I could just set up LR to save automatically onto the LaCie. And then manually copy over, frequently, the Finder photos onto the LaCie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines