• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut issues

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many shortcuts don't seem to work for me. I noticed on the official shortcut list that they are different depending on the language, which brings up the question what language Lightroom follows. Is it the operating system, the keyboard or the program language setting? And what happens when those are mixed, like it is in my case (Windows and Lightroom in Englisch but a Swiss-German keyboard).

Specific example of a not working shortcut: Increasing/decreasing star rating. Neither [ / ] (Englisch), nor Ö / # (German) works. The choice of keys for the German shortcut doesn't make any sense on my keyboard anyways, since the Ö and # are as far apart as they can only be.
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

The LR setting Preferences > General > Language determines both the language of the user interface and the keyboard shortcuts. The shortcuts for each language are defined in the TranslatedStrings.txt file, which you can edit:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Based on comments posted here over the years, I don't think Adobe has put much effort into defining good shortcuts for languages other than English, and many people end up customizing the shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)?

What version NUMBER of your software? What operating system and version NUMBER? We need the version NUMBERs and not words like "latest" or "up-to-date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to add them. Here you go:

Windows 11 (Version 21H2)

Lightroom Classic 11.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LR setting Preferences > General > Language determines both the language of the user interface and the keyboard shortcuts. The shortcuts for each language are defined in the TranslatedStrings.txt file, which you can edit:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/custom-keyboard-shortcuts/

Based on comments posted here over the years, I don't think Adobe has put much effort into defining good shortcuts for languages other than English, and many people end up customizing the shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just spent over an hour with tech support getting this escalated and referring to this (and similar) threads.

For me - I can always rate with mouse. With keyboard, it's extremely intermittent - doesn't work about 80% of the time. Most often it works immediately after I've rated with mouse I'll usually be able to change rating with keyboard shortcuts. Tech support guy was unable to help but said they've fully escalated it for investigation. I'm working with video files, not photos. I don't think I've had this issue as much, if at all, with photos..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines