• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some tools stop working properly and I have to close Lightroom to resolve the problem

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a recurring problem in Lightroom where after some time, which can be a few minutes, half an hour or 1 hour, some tools stop working properly and I have to close Lightroom and open it again to make them work again.
This happens in tools like "transform" or "mask".

This situation has been going on for a long time, even though I have already changed my computer and operating system. I currently use macOS Montrerey, but this already happened with previous versions like Catalina and Mojave.

I've tried everything from reinstalling lightroom, resetting settings, updating, changing operating system, switching to an ssd disk, changing computers (I have two) and the problem persists.
I tried all the solutions I found on the internet but I can't solve the problem.

Does anyone have the same experience?

Current configuration of my computer:
macOs Monterey 12.3.1
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inches, 2019)
3 GHz Intel Core i5
32GB 2667MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4GB

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I’ll need more information so that I can help you with this issue.

Could you please share the exact version of Lightroom from Help > About Lightroom Classic / Adobe Lightroom? Does this happen when editing images from a specific set or collection?

If you are on Lightroom Classic, where is the catalog stored? Is it on an internal drive or an external drive?

Are you using multiple monitors? Does this behavior appear after a series of steps or in any screen mode like fullscreen?

Is it only Lightroom that stops responding? Do you use any other resource-intensive application that might be behaving oddly?

To begin with, please go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor > Set it to Off if it is on Custom or Auto. If this shows you any differences, please check this article to troubleshoot further: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

We hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version of lightroom

Captura de ecrã 2022-04-20, às 14.48.39.png

Does this happen when editing images from a specific set or collection?
No. I don't use collections in lightroom. This happens in any set of images.

If you are on lightroom Classic, where is the catalog stored? Is it on an internal drive or an external drive?
The catalog is store on an internal drive.

Are you using multiple monitors? Does this behavior appear after a series of steps or in any screen mode like fullscreen?
I use only one monitor. Never use fullscreen. I don't see any relationship with a series of specific steps, whenever I edit images in lightroom this problem always ends up happening.

Is it only Lightroom that stops responding? Do you use any other resource-intensive application that might be behaving oddly?
Just lightroom has this strange behavior. I only use lightroom and photoshop simultaneously, I never had any problems with photoshop.

I turned the Graphics Processor off, now I'll have to work with it off and see if that happens. As soon as I have news I'll let you know.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with the Graphics Processor turned off the problem continues to appear.
I've been seeing better what this anomaly causes, basically everything on the left side of the screen stops working in Lightroom, whether buttons, tools, etc.
This only happens in lightroom, outside of this program everything works normally. For lightroom to work normally again, I have to close the application and reopen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when you make changes in Lightroom Preferences shut down and reboot for the changes to take effect.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your LrC preferences file as detailed in the below article.  It can become corrupted and uninstall and reinstall does NOT create a new working Preferences file. It uses the original file. Place a copy of the current Preferences file on your desktop so it can be easily restored if the issue persists.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago I formatted the PC disk and reinstalled everything again, as I said before, this does not solve the problem. I've also tried resetting the lightroom preferences several times in the past and it never worked. This has been happening for over 2 years, I have described the situation in detail in a previous post. I've tried all the solutions I found on the internet and nothing worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Short of a clean install of the OS, you should try the following to ensure there isn't a conflict with something else running on your system so.... 

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still not working correctly? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still not working correctly? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still not working correctly? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines