Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stuck in Catalog Upgrade - LR CC classic

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a imac 2011 running on EL Capitan. Succesfully downloaded and opened the application. However it is now in "Catalog upgrade in progress" stage for the last 90 mts, without the progress bar moving.

What needs to be done now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relating my experience, one that was ultimately successful, in case it helps others:

1) 230K images, 38GB LR CC catalog file, intact and undeleted Develop History

2) Successful upgrade to LR CC Classic catalog required about 10 hours

3) Prior attempt aborted at 4 hours when progress, it seemed to me at the time, had halted

4) During the upgrade process, the progress bar seemed to barely move

5) Similarly, the "new" catalog file seemed to barely grow in size, and its reported size grew in a very nonlinear way until the upgrade was done and then, bam, it was done. The new Classic catalog had shrunk to 12BG (from 38)

6) My LR CC catalog, Previews and all image files were on an External drive, USB connected, with plenty of vacant space

7) The new Classic catalog does seem more crisp, although I find the program crashes when I institute a Catalog filter word

8) Running iMac OS X 10.11.6

Like others, I found this upgrade a bit unsettling and, having been a user since LR 1, an upgrade that took much, much longer than ever before.

John Caldwell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your catalog on external drive ? Please use an Internal SSD for upgrading the catalog.

The shrinking of catalog is expected, saving more space for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgrade my catalog which was created in CC2017. Unfortunately after upgrade all the files missing in the catalog. Catalog file is just 12.4MB. Anybody can help me on this ? I install CC2015 and try to reopen back the original catalog file unfortunately seems same problem

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AviMathur fixed this issue by upgrading my catalog from 4 -> 6 -> 7 and faced no errors.

Still impressed with how you managed to fix this AviMathur. But thanks again!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of LR from Nov 17 2017. I launched the app today, and choosing/clicking Migrate Lightroom Catalog does NOTHING. No options, no questions, no spinning wheels. I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Imran,

I think you are using new Lightroom CC.

Please report this issue in Lightroom CC forum.

This forum is for Lightroom Classic CC. I know this has been a confusion for a lot of people.

Thanks,

Akshay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is completely crazy that there is this big a problem with updating catalogs from the last version of Lightroom. Adobe this is expectable to you? You're making your users spent hours and hours fixing this and then days of time with a computer updating the catalog? I love Lightroom, every update so far has been great. This is a disaster. All of my catalogs on one of my drives are failing to update. Going through these message boards now. Thankfully this community is helping each other out of this mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue to others.

4.5 gb catalog file. Tried upgrading from LR 2015.10.1 Release and upgrade failed a few minutes into migration

Starts at updating catalog file format

Crashes when it gets in to Optimizing catalog phase

Get following error message:

Lightroom encountered problems when trying to update the format of the catalog file and cannot use the catalog in this version of Lightroom.

All of my files are on local drives and I have plenty of diskspace.

I optimized my catalog and tried again. Same error.

I migrated my catalog to a new catalog (took about 30 hours). Optimized the new catalog. Reran migration. Same error at same point.

Also tried creating an empty catalog in new version and then importing existing catalog, but it failed migrating catalog as well.

Was able to perform migration on a smaller catalog, but the idea of breaking my catalog up into smaller pieces is not appealing and unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read all the comments with the same problem. Upgrading from 3.6 to classicCC.

I have lots of space on HDD, Lots of memory....

My catalog is 200,000 photos and 2GB.

I have recovered a backup and tried several times (one time running 8hrs+ before killing it)

Did a compact and test before running

Window 10 creator, dell xps 9100 (i7 with 18gb ram)

CPU is running 17%, disk i/o is moderate on C: ( 400GB free and one of several drives)

Anybody solve this?????????????????????????????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the "use other" -> "create new" option then imported the LR 3.6 catalog. It is reading/writing disk now (4.6 MB/s was 0 when I went straight to upgade) and CPU is 10%. Looks like this might work!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It now looks stuck again. 3 hrs at about 10% done progress bar in LR. CPU 15%, I/O = 0 MB/s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARRRRRG!!! HELP! No Luck importing/converting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thing is ridiculous. Adobe for all of its $$$ and market share is amazingly uncaring about its users. How in the world do you feel okay about releasing a product that hoses everyones precious content? Who is in charge of this? Releasing software that is this badly flawed, leaving everyone to spend hours in discussion forums to solve the mess! How about making sure your core user base is able to access their photos first before you release this silly consumer level Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to upgrade my LR v3.6 catalog to LR 6.x!

I am now trying to go from the  V6 to V7(CC Classic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upgrade from V6 to V7 (CC) was successful. Giant pain in the ass!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog update seemed to succeed but when I tried to navigate to a  collection the previews went blank. Thinking this was a issue with cached images I waited 24 hours while LR CC used 12% of the CPU. That seemed like a infinite loop so I stopped it.

I created a new catalog and imported a few 100 images, that works fine so it does have something to do with the number of photos in the catalog.

I went back to the V6 (CC 2015.14 release) that was the catalog that was last updated from V3.5 and that works fine. It does a a few moments to generate the previews in catalogs when I view it for the first time.

I give the update 0 stars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello rudyvanbree​ ,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please share your catalog with us over dropbox, We will try to get you up and running.

Thanks,

Akshay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AviMathur   I've been waiting days for a response....starting to wonder if I need to look at other options/programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just gave up trying to upgrade my catalog. For now I made a clean break making a 2018 V7 (Classic CC) catalog for future use and still have LR 3.6 to using for older photos/catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was going to make a clean break, it would be to another application/vendor that was responsive to its customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me a dropbox url, I don't have 2gb free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akshay, are you still converting catalogs?

I held off forever anticipating problems like these. My partner finally had to upgrade and now we are unable to share treatment presets for our share client shoots. We're neck deep in deadlines and I leave for a month long tour tomorrow. There's no way I can have my computer or even lightroom locked up in conversion for hours - especially not flying in and on the tour bus. 

Please help, lmk and I'll upload to dropbox and send you a direct message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a somewhat similar problem. My LR CC will not add any new catalogs despite my ensuing that they are syncing from my PC. This never happened with the old version.  My mo devices also have an exclamation point indicatiNg low storage. However, I have chosen many files to unsync. They are basically not communicating now that I have the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine Has been going for 15 hours and is about 3% done. Is this normal? At the lols of it thisbwill take a week!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines