• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switch from one photo to the next takes 20 seconds

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.2 was a rocketship on my computer 64gb RAM 2 2tb M.2 drives. 13.3 and 13.3.1 are almost unusable.  Switching from one photo to another in a shoot of about 1000 photos (Catalog has about 150k) takes 20 seconds or more. It was instant in 13.2. Exporting 100 JPGS take 5 times longer at least. Using things like the crop tool in the develop module is so laggy that it is almost impossible to use. It was like liquid glass in 13.2. 

Please, fix. Not doing a whole summer like this. Don't make me switch editors.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>getting delays of up to half a minute when adding photos to target collection with the "B" shortcut.

That is crazy! Something muct be completely messed up. I can't reproduce this at all so there must be specific interactions with specific configurations that trigger this. I use the "B" to add to target collection all the time and I've never seen it any different than instantaneous in my catalog of ~200k images including in the new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes at least 5 minutes to add 100 photos to the target collection in my library. Maybe longer. I give up after 5 minutes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution in a similar thread was to disable the antivirus software. If possible, only on the Lightroom catalog and the cache and preview folders.
It is unclear to me why it should have been so much better with 13.2. But it's worth a try.

P.S.: I would never have called any version a rocketship 🙂 12 cores, 96 GB, 2 x m2-drives (pci4), rtx 4060

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac. I don't have antivirus software.  It's incredibly slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.3 and 13.3.1 are just agony. No changes from using 13.2, same everything.... no cloud synching. It's gone so slow - in every respect - that it's unusable. Looked up some suggestions for speeding it up and some "expert" said turn off writing metadata automatically. I did and wished I hadn't because when you turn it back on (as it is easy to forget to do it manually) it re-writes the metadata for the whole database (120,000+ photos), which makes it even more frustrating!!! Not sure I can live with it much longer. Adobe has to say something about this and fix it..... quickly!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this ever get better for you?  I'm dealing with the exact same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amstobar , are you using the latest update LrC 13.5.

If not update. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to 13.5 and I still have the same problem. Its not related to any specific function, it will just pause and hang up for a while then continue on. I've been mainly experiencing it in organizing functions like stacking, opening or closing a stack, rating, and some developing. Synch is off. It just seems to be prioritizing something else other than my commands and sometimes catches up with the functions and sometimes just does not do them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes my exact problems but it’s mostly in photo editing any button at all does it
Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did update. The problem just moved from slow editing to slow flagging. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.... Although the choke points seem to change from update to update. In 13.4 the export function seems to have slowed somewhat. I'm using 13.5 now and the cropping and masking are painful. I've found a work-around that I can live with on the cropping front - if you going into the Develop module to crop and select the size of crop you want it takes a while for the image to refresh, so that you can move the viewable part of the image around. However, if you select your crop size, then immediately go back to the Library module then the crop is already applied. You can then go back to Develop and work on the crop without any lags. Quite what this tells me in the overall scheme of things, I'm not sure.... but it's far less frustrating than waiting for the Develop module to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity (sorry if this has been asked before and if you tried it) — how does ACR or LR Cloud fare on your system, by comparison? Same issues, or do those two work better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustrating to hear. I have been having similar problems, but all
of the development functionality seemed to return after giving a while for
all xmp data to be re-written. The only issue now is that it takes a long
time (multiple seconds or longer) for a flag or color rating to show up,
and/or add something to a collection. I can move through images and edit
quickly, but rating is a very important part of my workflow. When dealing
with thousands of images, a few seconds is a tenfold increase in time and
decrease in productivity.

I am thinking of reverting. Haven't had to do that in many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only solution i find is to work on lrc 12..

It's stupid but since the lrc 13 everything lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know what information you need to look into this issue. It has not been resolved for me, and continues to make it almost unusable for selecting/sorting through my photos.

The only new performance issues I have are in the Library module, especially with adding photos to target collection (using the "B" shortcut). Other things that are also a bit slow are flagging photos as pick, though that is a delay of seconds, rather than a delay of half a minute for adding photos to target collection.

It seems the filmstrip view just doesn't update in a timely fashion and/or is just held up by some invisible process.

I have top-end hardware and the catalog and lightroom both on separate m.2 SSD's. I did not have these issues with Lightroom version v13.2. My catalog is very large, over 400k images, but I get these issues when working in folders of 1000 images.

I've had Lightroom open "in the background" for a very long time, long enough to have it finish any invisible background processes. (If that takes longer than multiple days, I'd love to see a progress bar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>especially with adding photos to target collection (using the "B" shortcut).

Tried to reproduce this on my mac book pro M1 Max 32GB and doing B is instantaneous. This is on a 200k images catalog that I have about 10k images synced to the cloud in. There might be something to the theory that the new syncing architecture is to blame although it finally fixed all my syncing frustrations (it basically was completly nonfunctional before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same here. There is some sort of process constantly running in the background and I can't identify what it is. I'm stuck staring at my screen for half an hour before an image saves back in from PS. I think I have to change editing software - I have such a backlog of work to get through I can't just sit here looking at a frozen screen. Worst LR update to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, when syncin everything lags and copy settings takes minutes, and i cant see how many photos lightroom is syncin nothing to tell if the symc is even done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic: Try Unsyncing all synced collections and then delete all images from the "All Synced Photographs" under the Catalog tab.  Don't delete anything in the Cloud Website or you'll permanently lose it.  Quit LR Classic and reopen. Then loook at the Cloud icon upper right and see if it has a checked green dot that says 'Synced."

No try editing in the Develop Module. Mine is fast and works fine now. I think the problem lies in the cloud Sync mechanism.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using cloud synching at all and my 13.3+ is running slower than a tortoise (I've checked and it's definitely OFF). As someone else has mentioned, there is a background process going on that seems to be accessing the drives where the photos in the catalog are stored. Whether this is affecting things, I don't know. I've dropped back to 13.2 (only needed me to re-import one set of photos) and things are slightly better, but there still appears to be a loss of speed as far as local masking and cropping, plus one or two other things, are concerned. I've got the feeling the rush to get 13+ out has completely trumped the usual testing program. I might try dropping back to pre-13 until all this is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My background Lightroom activity went to zero after about a day with LR opened. Now it works fine even if i am not that happy with export time, but they are ok. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe both the slowness and the re-writing of XMP metadata could also be related to the "New preview level organization" that was mentioned among "Other feature enhancements and changes", here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2024-3.html

If I'm understanding it correctly, this is a background process that needs to run, and depending on the number of photos and existing preview cache, it might take quite a long time to update it all.

I deleted my entire preview cache with the 13.3 release. It meant slower operation when accessing individual folders at first (obviously), but otherwise 13.3 has been running nicely here. (Mac Studio, M2 Max, Sonoma) Might be worth a shot? As a precaution, just renaming the previews.lrdata would probably be better. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previews should automatically update to the new format when the catalog is updated. However, some users have reported that this doesn't occur and the application creates a new near empty Previews.lrdata folder. There are a few threads in which this has been found to be the case, and I know from personal experience that the automatic previews update can fail.

It's also worth noting that preview building doesn't need to run in the background. If the user wants to, they can run the Build Standard-sized Previews or Build 1:1 previews anytime they choose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to the message above, a slightly more "forensic" look into this has now definitely revealed that the "background process" is actually what I presume is part of the updating of the catalog. It is re-writing ALL of the XMP files in the catalog. It's NOWHERE NEAR having done them all. My original files are all on 8GB external hard drives (USB 3), so I guess not ideal circumstances, but even so!!!  I estimate from what I can see has been done up to now, there is another solid week of this to go.... for each catalog!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh.... forgot to mention, the "auto update XMP files" option is OFF. This is all triggered by the updating of the catalog when you first open it in version 13.3. I have no control over whether or not this happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines