Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with ICC color profiles on LR Classic 13.4

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have LR Classic 13.4 running on my mac (running 14.6.1) 
I am trying to install a few ICC profile files from an online printing store.

I have tried placing them in mutliple folders (macHD/library/colorsync/profiles) and in application support/adobe/color/profiles/recommended) 

reguardless of the location, when soft proofing in LR, when i choose 'other' i can not see the downloaded icc files/profiles - i can see others that are in the folders listed above though - the ones that came with the mac and LR.

is there some setting i am missing to be able to view the ones i've downloaded?

Or am i missing the proper folder location?

thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tired restarting LrC and your computer?  It seems like you placed the files in the right location. ^CM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup -restarted both LR and the computer multiple times 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - i will take a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the profiles load in other color-managed applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or do they not load in any application?

Do you happen to know if the profiles are RGB or CMYK?

If the profiles are CMYK, Lightroom Classic won’t load them (but Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign will).

Are the profiles listed in Apple ColorSync Utility in its Profiles tab? If they do, then there is nothing wrong with where you put them.

Side note: In recent years Apple has been recommending that profiles go in the user level ColorSync folder when practical:

/Users/[username]/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

However, that shouldn’t affect this because profiles should also load from the two locations you listed.

My guess is if a profile won’t load from the other two folders, it probably won’t load from the user profiles folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -  i havent tried in PS and i believe they are RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these profiles perhaps CMYK profiles? Lightroom Classic only supports RGB based profiles.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe they are RGB - they are from Bay Photo - fineart epson hot press bright white and moab entrada bright rag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, those details are actually the key. I decided to go to the Bay Photo profile web page, download the profiles myself and try to load them, but before I even installed them I noticed the little asterisks on some of the profile names, and scrolled down to find out what the asterisk means. And guess what: It means…

*CMYK profile, not supported by Adobe Lightroom. All other image editing programs (including Photoshop) will support these profiles.

Bay-Photo-profiles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2024 Aug 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I think you can tell i don't print my work all that much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2024 Aug 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - I think you can tell i don't print my work all that much. 

By @Brent Guiliano

It’s understandable and it’s not anything on your end, people just expect that a color-managed application that supports printing will have no problem with a printer profile, since many of them do support CMYK. 

If you were asking the question because you’d like to be able to soft-proof while editing in raw before exporting the file for Bay Photo, here is a workaround based on the fact that although CMYK support was removed from Lightroom Classic some years ago, CMYK support is still part of Adobe Camera Raw:

1. In Lightroom Classic, select the photo(s) and choose Metadata > Save Metadata to Files. (If in the Develop module, the command is Photo > Save Metadata to Files.)

2. Drag the photo thumbnail, and drop it on the Adobe Bridge app icon to start Bridge with that file selected. (This drag and drop method might not work on Microsoft Windows, where you might have to go the long way around and select the photo from Bridge.) Bridge and Camera Raw can read and use the edit metadata from Lightroom Classic.

3. Choose File > Open in Camera Raw, click the underlined settings under the image to open Camera Raw Workflow preferences, click the Space menu, choose your print profile, and click OK. This works because Camera Raw does support CMYK profiles.

Important: When you change the Workflow / Color Space settings, that changes the Camera Raw preview, the histogram, and the clipping point indicators…you’re basically soft-proofing, as shown in the animation below. So in Camera Raw, you can edit in raw while previewing through a Bay Photo CMYK profile.

Camera-Raw-soft-proof-Bay-Photo.gif

4. When finished editing in Camera Raw, click Done, switch back to Lightroom Classic, and for any images you edited in Camera Raw, choose Metadata > Read Metadata from Files so that the edits you made in Camera Raw are now brought back to the Lightroom Classic catalog.

Now you can export the final for Bay Photo from Lightroom Classic, but if you want, you can also click the Save icon in Camera Raw which will offer options very similar to the Export options in Lightroom Classic, so you can export to Bay Photo straight from Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted my reply, as another member answered while I was creating it. and as such, my reply is not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines