• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off Smart Previews on Import

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have no need to work on my files remotely, I don't need Smart Previews.  How do I turn off Smart Previews when I import into Lightroom?  I don't need to use the space or the CPU capacity but I just can't fine anything in Preferences or anywhere else to shut it off. As I'm importing off of a card, I can click on the progress graph in the upper left, then wait until it starts building the Smart Previews and cancel the operation, but that is not only inefficient, several are produced before I can cancel the operation.

There must be a way to just say no....I'm running a Windows 10 Pro machine and 64 bit LR Classic CC.  Any help?

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

It's an option right at the top of the right hand panel of the import dialog window. File Handling, Build Previews.

Built in Preview.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>"Choose embedded & sidecar method. Lightroom will use the camera preview."

>"Okay. Learn something new everyday."

It should be pointed out that this is a new feature introduced in LR Classic 7.0. It can indeed be a useful "speed-up" tool for the experienced or power user, but I am a bit concerned that new users may set it without understanding that what they see in the Library module will not reflect what LR intends to do to their image until some action is taken that causes a new preview to be created. On one hand that will avoid all those cries of, "Why is LR ruining my pictures?" but if exporting directly from Library the difference between Loupe view and an exported default RGB render could be significant, especially if the camera is set for strong jpg processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, I really do not like the preview I get when I am trying to edit a RAW image. Is there a way I can have this embeded preview disabled as I want to see my RAW image in the Develop section as I edit my picture so that I am not blindly editing. 

What are you preview options set to in the Import dialog?

One of the things I do after an import is, in the grid view, gently scroll down the images which seems to force Lightroom to generate the standard preview "now" instead of on demand later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines