• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to sharpen selected subjects face

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue trying to sharpen just a single subjects selected face in a small group photo.  One of the subjects is falling out of focus and a little soft. I selected the subject and made a mask of just the facial skin, but the sharpening slider is not having any effect at all, even jacked all the way to the right, viewing 100%. All of the other parameters of exposure, etc. show change in the face. I can sharpen the whole photo and see the results, but I just want the change localized. What am I doing wrong?!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should add I'm in Lightroom Classic on a Mac, not photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot may be helpfull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 screen shots. 1 at 100 (default)-no sharpening. 1 at 200-no difference. Mask was made of subject (found auto by LR) and a mask made of the facial skin. I can change everything else of the face (expsosure), etc. but sharpening is having no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit using the Preset Sharpness.  I starts at a default of 25 Sharpness and does not change the photo much.  Use Sharpness in the Detail Section of the Local adjustments and you can set it to 100

Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 7.57.15 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sharpness in the detail panel made no difference either. I can get the effect I want globally over the whole image, but can't seem to get it locally. Strange. Maybe I'll fire up to the old imac. I was able to do what I want with a brush in an older version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, you might have better luck sharpening out of focus areas by using a combination of Texture, Clarity and Dehaze along with sharpening.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mask sharpening depends on the Radius and Detail settings in the Global detail panel.  As an experiment, lower the Global Sharpening to 2 and do a Mask Sharpening of 100 (not the preset).  Then go to the Global Sharpening and slide the Radius from the lowest to the highest and you will see the Mask Sharpening change.  I think this is a VERY POOR design but it has been that way  forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Thank You. I'll try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately that also changes any Global Sharpening you have done.  That is why I said it was a poor design and makes Mask Sharpening less useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines