• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using same LR catalog on external HD over multiple computers

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit my photos and create collections with Lightroom over 2 computers.  I am using an external drive that contains 2 folders-  1- the LR catalog and 2- all of the the photo files referenced.  I created this catalog with my MacBook Pro and everything has has been working fine.  I'm able to edit, apply meta-data and create collections without any issues, and everything opens as left the last time I closed it.  When I open this same catalog on my Imac though, from the same HD, none of the meta data, edits or collections are loading.   Shouldn't the catalog folder on my external HD contain all of that information and load up when the same LR catalog is selected on my Imac?   What could prevent this from happening?  Thanks for your help.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that hard drive, in the folder containing the catalog(s), are their multiple catalogs, perhaps earlier versions? If so, are you opening the same catalog on the two computers? Generally by default LrC opens the previous catalog, that might be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure sounds to me like you are not opening the same catalog. How are you opening the catalog, by double-clicking on the LrC icon? Or some other method?

What happens if you try double-clicking on the catalog file itself, instead of the LrC icon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should see (nearly) everything on either computer if the catalog is on one drive you move about. The exception would be your presets if you don't have store presets with catalog option. 

I do as you do, I have a catalog on an external drive and move it about with no issue, so as suggested, do check you are indeed launching that one catalog on the differing machines. You should see everything using this method. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.  Good to hear it should be working!  I am definitely opening the same catalog, from same external drive.  I have confirmed this by going to catalog setting General Tab Info where it does indeed show the correct path to the external HD.   It is the same name of an older library catalog I had on my 2nd computer not too long ago- is it possible that there is some cached files blocking it from refreshing correctly?  Should I try and reinstall LR?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All sorted now.  Looks like I had a catalog on the 1st computer with same name that was loading from the internal drive.  I've redirected to the external HD and its working fine now. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines