• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes 'Unexpected end-of-file' error?

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2009 Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am a photographer and an avid Lightroom user. I have two camera's (Nikon D700 and D300) and two computers, a desktop PC and a MacbookPro. Lightroom is installed on both computers.

For the last three photoshoots I have had this problem where 1 in 3 to 1 in 5 images in Lightroom on my desktop PC suddenly gives a 'Unexpected end-of-file' error. First I thought it was my camera. But then I loaded the images onto my MacbookPro and they worked fine. Then I took some images with my other camera, loaded them on to my Desktop PC, and, voila, same problem.

The problem specified: the image stops rendering a preview. A dull preview appears. At the top of the screen the message appears: "An unexpected end-of-file occurred." The histogram window stays empty and the image can not be developed.

I have browsed through this forum some looking for the cause and the fix. There are some mentions of it, but they all date back to 2007.

I run LR 2.2 on Windows XP SP2 and on a MacbookPro with OS X, version 10.5.8.

Please help me understand the cause of this problem, and help me find a fix?

Thanks,

Rogier

Rotterdam, The Netherlands

www.rogierbos.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a plug-in that will help validate if anything has changed with a raw file, but only if you have already computed a checksum/hash value:

Validator: A Lightroom Plugin for Verifying Image Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2014 Dec 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I received a new D750 for Xmas.   I have taken 22 shots with it so far.  I removed the card and inserted into the internal card reader on my iMac and attempted to load those images into LR 5.7. I received the "unexpected end of file" error on 7 of those images.  Got the same results when loading the image on PSE 13.    I have loaded images from a D300s and a D800 and have never gotten this error.  based on research, looks like this is a new situation with the D750 but I still need to do more experiments to confirm this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines