• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is everyone's experience with LrC's lossy DNG? Is it good enough for professional use?

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow Lightroom Classic users,

I finally migrated over from the cloud-based Lightroom out of frustration with UI problems, and I am slowly discovering new features that LrC has. One of them is the ability to create lossy DNGs. I tried it out and I am impressed at how well it was able to compress DNG files, especially those produced by denoising applications such as DxO PureRaw: 90MB to 9MB. It is a significant disk space saving.

What I do not know is how well it preserves detail. I am not good at pixel peeping - anyone else here with more experience can tell me if they're able to see a significant loss in detail for professional work?

I find it kind of paradoxical that Adobe can compress raw formats smaller than the lossy raw formats offered in camera. Am I losing dynamic range or microcontrast? I have no idea how to judge.

-----------------------------
I have a 5900X, an RTX 3090 and 128GB of RAM. Yet Lightroom chokes on a fricking 24MP photo.
TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?