• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What new features in Lightroom 6 ?

Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe Photoshop Lightoom 6 expected to be released later this year, what new featured would you like to see in the new version ?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Robert Frost wrote:

Isn't it about time this thread was closed, and a new one opened for LR7?

Bob Frost

Bit hard to know what to ask for in Lightroom 7 when 6 is not out yet....

But quite happy to lock this...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 415 Replies 415
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I currently work with Lightroom 4.4. Can I download the 8.6

plug-in to my current version (LR 4,4) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR does not work with Lightroom. They share code (the last column in the link is the corresponding LR version). You need to upgrade to Lightroom 5.6 to get D810 support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is ACR?

Thanks for pointing me to LR 5.6 Will version 6 also have the same

capability? (I understand release date is in 2 months)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR is the camera raw plugin for Photoshop. It doesn't work with Lightroom but shares code with Lightroom. Adobe will not shoot themselves in the foot and remove support for a hot Nikon camera from the next Lightroom version. If you have LR 5, all updates to subversions are free. They only charge for major version upgrades. You can also consider subscribing to the creative cloud for photographers thing which is $10/month for indefinite upgrades (as long as you keep paying) and comes with both Photoshop and Lightroom. Only problem is that it stops working if you stop paying but you do get both Lightroom and Photoshop at a very fair price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if I buy the current box version 5, are the downloads to upgrade to

LR 5. free?

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:48 PM, ellen waitzkin <ellenwaitzkin@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 major things I'd love to see: one easy and one not so -

1) Modifier on paste so that you can select which process items get pasted (rather than just on copy) because sometimes you have something in your clipboard that works for everything but you may want to eg preserve white balance on a particular shot

1.5) On that not a quick clipboard or scrapbook allowing you to hold a couple of recent copies to hand.

1.5a) I'd like to be able to have tool presets - because I often want the same brush with each pick and the same grad but necessarily the same preset for brush AND grad

2)The fun one:  I'd like to be able to apply 2 develop presets to an image.  How many times have you applied a develop preset and thought - thats good but a theres just a bit too much of it.  Easy to fix in photoshop - you just adjust the opacity of an effect (adjustment layer or group).  It should be possible to do the same in LR without creating pixel outputs and adding over the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getho wrote:

1.5a) I'd like to be able to have tool presets - because I often want the same brush with each pick and the same grad but necessarily the same preset for brush AND grad

2)The fun one:  I'd like to be able to apply 2 develop presets to an image.  How many times have you applied a develop preset and thought - thats good but a theres just a bit too much of it.  Easy to fix in photoshop - you just adjust the opacity of an effect (adjustment layer or group).  It should be possible to do the same in LR without creating pixel outputs and adding over the top.

For 1.5a there are already tool presets.

Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 8.08.21 PM.png

For 2   Create a virtual copy or two and apply different develop presets to them.  You do know that if you hover over a develop preset the little navigator thumbnail changes to the preset so you can see what it will look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>For 2   Create a virtual copy or two and apply different develop presets to them.  You do know that if you hover over a develop preset the little navigator thumbnail changes to the preset so you can see what it will look like.

I think getho was referring to something else. What he/she wants is to "fade" a preset. Basically you apply a preset but think "hey that's a bit much!" but you still like the effect. In Photoshop you just fade with history or lower the opcaity of your adjustment layer. You can't do that in Lightroom basically because the editing model is radically different from Photoshop and there are no layers in Lightroom (so no blending of effects in the same manner). I guess one could sort of devise a way to do it in Lightroom by basically averaging slider settings between previous settings and new as defined by the preset but it would be quite a feat to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I see what getho is talking about now.  One problem is how do you account for applying a little bit less of split toning, graduated filters, post crop vignette, and all the lens corrections that may be included in the develop preset.

for getho's case you could just apply a graduated filter over the WHOLE photo with the lines outside the photo so the graduated filter affects the whole photo and then use the "amount" slider for the graduated filter to do the "fade" effect you want.  You could even create a preset with this graduated filter.

Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 8.52.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tool presets as in presets that not only specify the develop preset but which tool they apply to. I imagine a llittle pallette where you can drop a brush of a certain size that's set to a specific preset and set to auto mask.

re my 2 preset idea: It would have to exclude crop, lens corrections and process version. But lets not get hung up on the details!

there's a school of retouching that aims to produce lots of variations quickly and blending the results. I like to work like this but blending them in PhotoShop is slow. Averaging out each slider should be pretty straightforward. Something similar is going on when you click and drag an edit pin to reduce or increase the effect of a brush or grad. Over to the boffins   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance of adding a tool/paint brush that you could eliminate or enhance colors. A really good example of this would be nice to have a paintbrush that I could use on a face to be able to adjust the redness is someone face without effecting the reds in the rest of the image.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

josephp87120098 wrote:

Is there any chance of adding a tool/paint brush that you could eliminate or enhance colors. A really good example of this would be nice to have a paintbrush that I could use on a face to be able to adjust the redness is someone face without effecting the reds in the rest of the image.

Sent from my iPhone

+1 on this.  I think having the HSL panel sliders included in the Local Adjustment tools would a great addition.  I could see this as a must upgrade feature for Lr6 although I will upgrade anyway no matter what they include or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getho wrote:

tool presets as in presets that not only specify the develop preset but which tool they apply to. I imagine a llittle pallette where you can drop a brush of a certain size that's set to a specific preset and set to auto mask.

You can do individual tool brush presets now although the size, flow and mask are not stored.  I could see where if you had a toggle when saving the tool you could specify if you want the size, flow and mask settings also stored.  These are easy to change and can be changed during use of the brush so I am not sure how handy this would be.

As far as your adjusting the amount of ALL the sliders at once I gave you a workaround using the graduated filter  and amount slider in my post #376. You could probably use a couple of the graduated filters in this way and do blending.   I know its not blending layers in Photoshop but Lightroom was never intended to be Photoshop and I hope they keep Lightroom a lean and mean raw editor and leave this kind of stuff to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont agree bob:  I often want a handful of tools on a set of images.  A big brush at a low opacity with a specific preset applied, a specific grad, a small brush with a different preset and auto masking turned on.  Constantly changing presets when shifting from grad to brush, changing size and opacity is a big workflow slower.  I guess it depends on the way you work and what style of photography you do.  I don't worry about it so much when I'm working on landscape stuff because its a slower more considered workflow; but for my bread and butter I need to quick.

Also your grad idea would only work if all the develop panels were included in a grad preset.  Theres no reason why my 2 presets one image couldn't include camera calibration and tone curve...

I also dont see this as bloat - I've worked in photoshop for years and the fact I can apply this stuff in the raw data is what keeps me in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open as LINKED Smart Object in Photoshop command for RAWfiles, please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was able to request just 3 new features in Lr6 they would be:

1) Layers, being able to blend and fade and mask out sections. That way I can blend exposures of various sorts.

2) GPU assisted processing.  Takes to long to export even on my Quad i7 Mac.

3) Option to have catalog backup to the creative cloud.. So incase I forget to backup my catalog again, I don't have 2k photos to eventually go back and retouch..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like layers in Lightroom 6 as well, Exodist. If Capture One can do it so can Adobe. It's a much needed addition to an already great program.

I'm wondering if Lr6 will get a new process version up from 2012? Lately I'm thinking to try presets by either vsco or really nice images. But if the process changes, that could screw up the way the presets work.

It's small by way of desire, but I wish the way 'grain' was used in Lr could be placed in highlight/shadow/mid-tone areas, or that it worked automatically. As it is I often feel like it's an overall apply of noise and not dependent on the individual image. I do feel some images benefit from a good application of grain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope LR6 will be able to efficiently handle the 50mp files from the forthcoming Canon 5Ds & 5Dr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A gum (eraser) like in PS or Aperture to correct imperfection like a red dot in the skin. In LR we have to use clone which is really not efficient for that when you have a gradian of light in a subject. Aperture is really doing it very well by analyzing the around pixel and creating new pixel to replace the red dot.

Apperture des have an auto horizon detection and in one clic the horizon is corrected. IN LR we have the meter with is great but it takes more time then in Aperture.

A blur / heat fog correction like in DxO.

A better "auto" system in order to correct the white balance and the tone of a picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proper network support.. ability to have a shared library on a server, NAS

right not its a pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone have suggested that.

1/ An easier way to get one album out (drag&drop or similar) and send/share it to an external retoucher. He then does what he is hired for and returns the photos. That would be nice.

-> I make 500 photos session

-> I select 300 (primary selection)

-> I drag and drop into a zip/rar automatically created file (or cloud based solution) and send/share with John

-> John, after edit in his copy of LR returns 300 slightly corrected but only 200 with his remakrs and evaluations (1-5*).

-> I make my final selection of 50.

2/ Additionally Web plugin to be embedded in regular platforms like Wordpress, joomla and other custom CMSes. Its solely purpose would be for customers to decide which photos they want to have based on customizable by the photographer thumbnails (e.g. 300x200) in order after a shooting the customer to be able to select what and how many he wants to have/to pay. This of course would be available only through a custom login for him/her. Half of the work is already developed in LR in the Publish module.

Now I know that this more like for Adobe LR 7, 8 or even 9. But I thought it worth mentioning here.

Otherwise a GPU acceleration and overall Develop module retouching tools speed improvements would be highly appreciated. Many of us are disturbed by the immensive HDD work even when the program is idle.

1/ Is LR still written in Lua? If yes why?

2/ Is LR still going to be using SQLite? If yes why?

And the big question: WHEN will be Adobe Lightroom be released? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2015 Feb 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish some of the features in Davinci Resolve could make it into lightroom. Specifically their hue vs hue , hue vs sat, hue vs luminance, sat vs luminance curves are soooo rad. Also being able to use the qualifier in conjunction with those tools is amazing... When I use Resolve I sometimes wonder why my photo editor isn't (in some ways) as powerful as my video coloring platform...

Also, when I'm importing in LR, i like to zoom in to see individual photos to select/deselct for import. Often I hit the escape key out of habit, hoping to minimize the single image view only to find that I've exited from the import dialog completely and have to start this particular sd/cf card all over again. It's not a bug, but I wish you guys could save me from myself in that area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 has been listed on the Amazon UK website.

Lightroom 6 EN DVD Set 65237515 (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines