• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I import images into Lightroom that are already on my computer, how do I set the destination?

New Here ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import images sometimes that I've scanned, and they're already in my macbook pro. But the import function in LRC always wants a destination. When I send the imports to the same folder, it makes duplicates, which can lead to some organizational issues. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top of the import screen, Select "Add". Then the images will be imported from their present location and will not be duplicated or moved. And, you will not see an option to specify the destination. Is that what you want?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you.

<info removed-kglad>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jptamblyn@gmail.com 

do not reply via email, or remove your signature before sending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top of the Import screen is an option to "Add" existing images to the catalog.

BillSprague_0-1715815075263.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

<info removed-kglad>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another way to do this: Just skip the Import command, and drag and drop instead. When I am looking at an image or folder on my Mac desktop and I want them cataloged in LIghtroom Classic where they are (that is, without moving or copying to other destination), I simply drag the images or folder and drop them on the Lightroom Classic app icon or app window. 

That causes the Import dialog box to open, with the mode already set to Add.

So, as long as the other Import options are OK* (preview type, metadata…), all you really have to do is drag and drop into Lightroom Classic, and click Import to confirm.

*And the way to always make sure import options are correct is to make an import preset with everything set the right way, and always make sure that preset is selected before committing with the Import button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines