Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which LR backups to remove?

Participant ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which LR Classic backups to remove?
I have seveal LR Classic B/U/s on my computer, can someone tell me which ones I can safely remove?
I removed an older back up last year and had to reconstuck the images.
I attached the current ones that I have from the Apple storge (documents) folder.
I will make note going forward which ones with the extention that I can savely remove.
These are currently tking up 23+ gigabits.
Thanks,
Greg

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.01.21 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.03.05 AM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the first image, it did not list in the post.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.01.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A real backup can always be removed without consequences. If you had to restore something after removing a backup, then that wasn't a backup. Backups are zipped, and there aren't that many of them in your screenshots. There are lots of (not zipped) catalog files in this list however, which makes one wonder if you are using different copies all the time and why. It looks like you are not using Lightroom Classic the way you should, with one single catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By apologies, I did not receive a notice that you responded or I missed it.
Please bear with me, I am 81 years old and extremely happy when the computer turns on.
I only have one catalog, I do use portrait pro on occasion.
Unless I hit a wrong entry by mistake.
I attached my side bar of the catalog  showing the folders (Collections) , there are folders within most of the Collections Folders.
The last 3 backups were Zip Files only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Folders have nothing to do with this. That is were your images are stored. This is about catalog backups. The Lightroom catalog is a database. It is like an address book. Your address book does not physically contain your friends, but contains information how to contact them and where they live.

Your second screenshot shows that you have several copies of catalogs (.lrcat files) floating around. A few of them have been used recently, which suggests that for some reason you changed from one copy to another. The screenshot does not show where these different copies are located, however, so that is all I can say. If you do not have a problem running out of disk space, I would suggest you leave them where they are because deleting anything could only mess things up if you don't know for sure what you you delete.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines