• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why no Vista 64 bit compatibility for Lightroom 5?

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't point me to the system requirements; I've already read again and again that Only Windows 7 or 8 are compatible with LR5.

What I want to know is WHY was Vista 64 bit supported with the Lightroom 5 Beta but now not for the current full release of LR5? Sucks to have been led to believe Vista would still be supported, due to the inclusion of VIsta 64 support on the Beta version, only to find the full release does NOT support VISTA.

And does "not supported" mean it truly won't install and be useable with Vista 64, or does it simply mean you won't provide tech support?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Janie please see http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/windows-vista-supported-lightroom-5.html.  Also from posts I have seen you will not even be able to install under Windows Vista.  I would recommend upgrading your operating system to Windows 7 or later if you wish to install Photoshop Lightroom 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janie please see http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/windows-vista-supported-lightroom-5.html.  Also from posts I have seen you will not even be able to install under Windows Vista.  I would recommend upgrading your operating system to Windows 7 or later if you wish to install Photoshop Lightroom 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question was not an if, it was a why.  Did you read Janine's post?  The page you linked to implied that the beta would work on Vista. So the question was, what were the results?  I have vista running quite well on a 64 bit machine.  Beyond 64 bits, what are the reasons? We know for a fact Adobe allows people to install fast apps on inferior machines and deal with lag by saying, "Well, it is an old system, what do you expect (LR4 anyone?)?"

Now, consumers will not buy LR5 if they have an old machineas part of their workflow but refuse to upgrade (because it is an old machine).  The reason?  LR 4 or 3 cannot open LR5 catalogs.  So, I guess without a why, people will hold off on upgrading.  Oh well.  More cash for them I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem.

Running Vista 64.

Why should I "upgrade" to Win 7 when the core of both operating systems are the same? Pretty much the only difference being the removal of Aero (plus a few minor performance improvements.)

As for Win8 - that's the biggest pile of Sh*T microsoft has made since Win98ME (that or trying to sell Win2000 as a home OS for gaming.)

We are not asing for XP64 support, but support on a current (and very much underated OS) so let us install it.

Any one who thinks Vista is slower than Win 7 should try it on a 6 core, 16gb machine. It was released before the hardware could really cope with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have written a very details step-by-step tutorial on how to upgrade an older PC operating system to Windows 7 in order to be able to run Adobe's new Lightroom 5. Find it on As Seen by Janine's Photo Blog. Hope others find it helpful and please share the link to anyone you think could use the information. http://asseenbyjanineblog.com/tutorials/upgrade-pc-operating-system-to-run-lightroom5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thank you.  This current Vista install is more stable than any XP computer I've ever owned.  Uptime on this Vista system was nearly 6 months before my last restart... XP would usually crash on me at the 3-4 month mark for some reason no matter what build # I started at. The only thing more stable than it was when I was running W2K or NT 5.0.  I had an W2K system with over a solid year of uptime.   

Too bad Adobe.  I won't upgrade my system for just one application.  LR 4 will have to suffice.  That's fine for me, it won't cost me anything to continue using...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, I hear you and do understand. However, just thought I'd share that my PC is now far more stable and efficient now that I'm running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 than it ever was running Vista. So I don't view the op syst upgrade as having been just for one application, but rather a choice which has improved the overall efficiency of my system.  Just food for thought. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installer don't want to install it on Windows Vista. But you can patch the MSI file to even install it on Windows Vista.

I've written a small manual how to install Lightroom 5 on Windows Vista. http://www.doerg.es/doku.php?id=start:computer:lightroom5vista

I hope this helps some people who are trying to install Lightroom 5 on Windows Vista even if it's not supported by Adobe.

And I hope this won't be removed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome - thanks: I was hoping somebody would do this .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlogisch,

Awesome! I second the thanks ! A simple modification , works like a charm ! Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found a workaround. Just want to mention, again, that my computer is far more efficient now that I'm running on Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 than it ever was on Vista. So those of you holding out, may want to reconsider as you find less and less things compatible with Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very, very much. I'll upgrade when I see fit or feel forced by circumstance, neither of which applies to this case now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing work! Thanks for the tutorial of how to install it on vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks unlogisch, everything seems to be working fine, as it should be since LR5 was beta'd on Vista. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As_Seen_ by_Janine wrote:

What I want to know is WHY was Vista 64 bit supported with the Lightroom 5 Beta but now not for the current full release of LR5? Sucks to have been led to believe Vista would still be supported, due to the inclusion of VIsta 64 support on the Beta version, only to find the full release does NOT support VISTA.

Actually, even in Beta, Adobe said there is no Vista support even in Beta (read the beta released note). And people have been arguing a lot about this in the Beta Forum. Honestly, I think it's pointless to ask why. It's the same with windows XP. I don't think Adobe will change it. And no good reason will be accepted by users like us. Pretty much, we only have 2 choices: Upgrade OS or keep using LR4 (or switch to another software). Guess what, it's $150 less for Adobe and I don't think it makes any different to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I "upgraded" my version of Lightroom 4 to Lightroom 5 due to the following statement found here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/faq.html

Are the features the same in the Windows and Mac OS versions of Lightroom?

Yes. Lightroom 5 has the same features and delivers the same professional, best-of-class results no matter which platform you use.

Very deceiving as an upgrade ! This is definitely not a true upgrade. Windows 7 or 8 is a requirement. My main photo editing OS is Vista and I am unable to install it. WHO in their right mind will purchase a new OS ( 7 or 8) and have to re-install all their current favorite phot apps ? I do have a second computer I have Lightroom installed on and was able to "Upgrade" that one to Lightroom 5. HOWEVER it did not recognize my current catalogue. You have to Import all your RAW files and start from scratch.

I believe many current users will be migrating to another photo-editing software ( Photoshop will only be available on the cloud) Not sure if Adobe plans to do the same with Lightroom too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDDGO01 wrote:

and have to re-install all their current favorite phot apps

You can upgrade your OS without having to re-install apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 will upgrade previous version Lightroom catalogs.  There are no plans to make LR cloud only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDDGO01 wrote:

Yes. Lightroom 5 has the same features and delivers the same professional, best-of-class results no matter which platform you use.

Pretty obvious that this means "no matter which supported platform you use".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" supported " is the catch phrase everyone is chiming about.

When purchasing the software on the Adobe website here's your choice:

" Mac/Win " version.  <--- Says Nothing about Win 7 or 8 only

( Must read the fine print before purchasing .. ) Sorry , My bad , nothing more need be said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I agree that not being able to run on Vista (and Snow Leopard) should have been more prominent. I certainly would have expected it to run on them. That said, if you didn't read system requirements (and/or try the trial) before purchasing, you can't blame Desenex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pure and utter BS.  My Vista system runs better than my W7 system with similar specs.  They're the same code base...  not including Vista support is a mistake.

And getting a refund... I need to open the product, register then deactivate it?  How can I do that when the thing won't even install??  The support pages just refer you to links that bounce back and fourth.  I guess I'll have to randomly call the numbers listed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no deactivate option in LR as there is in Photoshop CS or Elements.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.3.1,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Twitter, I hear good things of response from @AdobeCare

Unfortunately for you, Vista seems less that 1% of the LR user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike.bartelt wrote:

Pure and utter BS.  My Vista system runs better than my W7 system with similar specs. 

Some tune-up work needed on your Win 7 system then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines