• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't Lightroom 4.4 import my Nikon D7000 NEF RAW files?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2013 Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why won't Lightroom 4.4 import my Nikon D7000 NEF RAW files?

I even downloaded the latest Adobe DNG converter and converted all the NEF files to DNG then tried to import to lightroom - it didn't even recognise them??? What the...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2013 Apr 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What error message do you get?

Did you do anything to the files with an older version of Nikon Capture before giving them to Lr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Did you do anything to the files with an older version of Nikon Capture before giving them to Lr?

Or an older version of Nikon Transfer - if so, this utility will fix them:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

(very top of page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ack! "Tranfser" is what I meant.

Thanks for the clarification, Rob. I'm not a Nikon user, so was going from vague recollection of other posts I'd seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

"Tranfser" is what I meant.

I got your back Keith .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help

The following files were not imported because they could not be read

same error message if NEF or DNG

Crazy!

No have not done a thing to them

This just seems nuts - Why would would you develop a programme that doesn't support NIKON RAW!!!!

Why not just not support NIKON and Canon and do away with 95% of the martket.

UGH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy!

This just seems nuts - Why would would you develop a programme that doesn't support NIKON RAW!!!!

UGH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy!

UGH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message "The following files were not imported because they could not be read" is also caused if you are trying to copy the files to a location "folder, HDD or network" that you do not have full Read Write permissions for. A recent upgrade of OS on a Mac can interfere with your permissions so check them out.

You would have got this info hours ago if only you posted the contents of the error message.

Lightroom needs to READ and WRITE to any location involved.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 14.0, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't my recent upgrade of Lightroom just fix this?

Ugh

Still got no idea how to actually make it work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's not Lr's fault. It's an operating system permissions issue.

How to make it work?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=Mac+OS+folder+permissions&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, the error message means that the destination you have specified in the Import panel is not writeable by LR. LR cannot fix this; you have to do something.

On a Mac there is a Fix Permissions (that I can’t tell you how to get to because I’ve never used a Mac) and on Windows you may need to be an Administrator user and also do a right-click Run As Administrator on LR’s shortcut. If that works then the right-click Properties of a shortcut have a checkbox you can enable to always run with Administrator permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for trying to help.

So I've checked all that and I have read and write access for lightroom and the places importing - well trying to import pictures from.

I also just tried re formating my SD card. Shoot new pictures, then just import direct from the SD card.

Doesn't work.

I do not get it.

Why make a program so hard to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not where you’re trying to import FROM it is where you’re trying to import TO – the destination. What is the destination you’ve specified in the Import panel? What permissions are there for your user on the destination folder you’re importing INTO.

The message you’re getting means that LR cannot READ from the files that it has just tried to Import to verify they are there—the files are not making it to the destination, not that LR cannot READ from the files on the card, which it apparently can because you’re seeing previews, right?

Are you on a Mac or PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks for the help

well yes i can see previews

Mac

Im new to lightroom

I imported a bunch of jpegs to learn the system and watched a number of long videos on Lightroom and use of

However I'm not sure what you mean by destination folder in Lightroom or where to find those permissions for that Lightroom folder

Where do I look please

Thanks

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for trying to help.

So I've checked all that and I have read and write access for lightroom and the places importing - well trying to import pictures from.

I also just tried re formating my SD card. Shoot new pictures, then just import direct from the SD card.

Doesn't work.

I do not get it.

Why make a program so hard to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Because it's not Lr's fault. It's an operating system permissions issue.

Well, giving the wrong error message is LR's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a "wrong" error message - it's true, as far as it goes, and it's completely unrealistic to expect error messages to be fully diagnostic - they're a starting point.

And a search of the forum would have avoided the need to start this thread in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying,

I have searched the forums and there are a number of threads under

Can not import

Nef import problems

importing problems

4.4 import problems

etc..

However no one is actually giving the answer

I would really like an answer to my original question

How do I fix this?

Also why does it just not do it automatically - Why?

If you know which thread I need to read please post it

I am happy to do the research, however trawling long unhelpful threads that get off topic is not my idea of fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

It's not a "wrong" error message - it's true, as far as it goes, and it's completely unrealistic to expect error messages to be fully diagnostic - they're a starting point.

Not wrong?

Let us have a look at the error message:

"The following files were not imported because they could not be read"

This clearly gives the user the impression that there is a reading error where you want to copy the files from. Is that the actual error?

No, the actual error is that the file could not be written at the destination.

It is possible that it is not factually wrong because Lightroom first make a failed copying attempt without giving an error message, then still assumes that the files have been copied and tries to import them, and THEN makes a failed import attempt from the destination and gives the error message. But that would never be anyone's first guess when they experience that error message.

A much better error message would be: "The following files were not imported because they could not be copied to the destination folder."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussing the semantics of error messages is all well and good.

However - How do I make it work please!

I just want to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you choosing as the Destination folder?  An external drive?  Will it let you import if you choose the desktop?  If it works on the desktop, we can help you reset your folder permissions on your normal destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Allan_Olesen wrote:

Let us have a look at the error message:

"The following files were not imported because they could not be read"

I've got a bug report in. It's a non-standard situation that's proving difficult to replicate on demand, as the folder permissions do 'appear' to be correct and only get fixed when applying to all.  Normal folder permissions problems show a more helpful errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines