• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wishlist and speculating on Lightroom 5

Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news, ideas thoughts of the next iteration of Lightroom?

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Pbeck1 wrote:

I'd be interested if anybody else agreed?

I disagree.  The numbers should show the current setting, whatever that might be, even if the default is there and the default is still set at zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck is that supposed to mean

It means you look at what the real situation is, and make your plans accordingly. No tethering support for the D600? OK. What are the options? D800? Wait and use my old camera a little longer? Use other software?

Gee whiz ... too bad you and Keith weren't around 38 years ago when I opened my studio

That would have been, let's see...around 1975...no, I wasn't around then. It was about five years later that I got the Nikon F2, and then the F3, F4, the Mamiya RZ67 (still around)...granted, things were much easier back then. A roll of 135 Tri-X fit the Nikons, but not the Mamiya. That was about the extent of compatibility issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

twenty_one wrote:

It means you look at what the real situation is, and make your plans accordingly. No tethering support for the D600? OK. What are the options? D800? Wait and use my old camera a little longer? Use other software?

You see that is where you are mistaken ... when I bought my first D600 there was tether support for it ... it just wasn't with Lightroom ... so I did use other software ...

I don't see where I failed in "taking responsibility for my working environment" ... Another D800 wasn't the best option ... for the work I do with the D600 I don't really need that much resolution ... for product work and portraiture, the D600 is quite a good option when considering image quality, file size and price ... I am also using my old cameras a little longer ... at the catalog shoot we did this week we had six product shot sets going at the same time ... you need enough bodies to go around with some spares on hand ... now do you see why I can't allow a software product cycle dictate what I buy and when I can buy it? I put enough mileage on my cameras that buying used gear just to maintain the status quo for Lightroom compatibility really isn't a worthy or equitable investment for the long term ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Butch_M wrote:

Gee whiz ... too bad you and Keith weren't around 38 years ago when I opened my studio

Yeah, I think we can agree on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest hope for Lr5 is for more love given to the SDK.

There are presently some omissions which make a whole lot of almost doable things not quite doable. - the Lr4 SDK was a  big disappointment to plugin authors, to say the least.

Fingers crossed for the Lr5 SDK...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A brush added to each panel, at least HSL. The colour patch on the brush as it stands is a pain and the eyedropper doesn't move onto the actual picture for sampling.

I'd like an 'apply preset on export' in the same way one can do this on import, so I don't create more virtual clutter/stacks than is needed and don't need to apply a preset, export and then undo.

I'd also like to be able to delete Lightroom's presets(if anyone aknows how to do this on LR4...). Aa least collapse them down one more level.

Though really if PV2014 isn't a significant step in the way 2010 to 2012 was, I won't bother with 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finesse99 wrote:

and the eyedropper doesn't move onto the actual picture for sampling.

Yes it does. Start with the cursor over the colour patch so that it turns into the eyedropper, then hold down the left mouse button and you'll find you can now drag the eyedropper onto the image for sampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JIM01403 is dead right, the processs is just utterly counter unintutive, but it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. I tried all sort of Shft, Alt combos. Now I can sort out those bald shiny heads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I think Lightroom works perfectly the way it is, but......

• The future of Lightroom needs to be 100% cloud based, processing in the cloud etc...  Log into adobe, launch a browser based lightroom.  Catalogs and files can be stored via dropbox, google drive, etc...

• The goal is to be able to work anywhere, stay in-sync between all of the computers you may use, and also let people take advantage of the powers of Lightroom even with a low end computer.

• Once you have your files ready to export, they are already in the cloud, so sending is that much easier.

• This also makes it easier to have a shared catalog that your co-workers can also work on.

• This service can be a membership based program with monthly/annual fee.

• Instead of continuing the Lightroom numbering scheme, call it LightroomCloud or something to break away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yaegermaster wrote:

• I think Lightroom works perfectly the way it is, but......

• The future of Lightroom needs to be 100% cloud based, processing in the cloud etc...  Log into adobe, launch a browser based lightroom.  Catalogs and files can be stored via dropbox, google drive, etc...

• The goal is to be able to work anywhere, stay in-sync between all of the computers you may use, and also let people take advantage of the powers of Lightroom even with a low end computer.

• Once you have your files ready to export, they are already in the cloud, so sending is that much easier.

• This also makes it easier to have a shared catalog that your co-workers can also work on.

• This service can be a membership based program with monthly/annual fee.

• Instead of continuing the Lightroom numbering scheme, call it LightroomCloud or something to break away

At the risk of feeding a troll....

If you are saying that everything should be done over the internet then that will never work.  Clearly, you have never been in the situation where your internet connection is slow or just doesn't exist.  Think about it.  This is a terrible idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Bob I clearly haven't had that problem, maybe you should change internet providers

Also, I use my smartphone to create 4G wifi hotspots from just about anywhere, even from a photoshoot out in the middle of a grassy field. 

My main idea is being able to keep your files & settings in sync anywhere. Whether you have to modify some photos from your friends house and you don't have your computer with you.  If your computer crashes or simple can't handle the processing load of lightroom! Also, it would be nice to only have to carry around a little tablet etc.. instead of a laptop.

Before you call someones idea terrible, you should go buy a new router.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yaegermaster wrote:

No Bob I clearly haven't had that problem, maybe you should change internet providers

Also, I use my smartphone to create 4G wifi hotspots from just about anywhere, even from a photoshoot out in the middle of a grassy field. 

My main idea is being able to keep your files & settings in sync anywhere. Whether you have to modify some photos from your friends house and you don't have your computer with you.  If your computer crashes or simple can't handle the processing load of lightroom! Also, it would be nice to only have to carry around a little tablet etc.. instead of a laptop.

Before you call someones idea terrible, you should go buy a new router.

I find my current 35 megabit/sec link quite adequate.  The router is just fine, too.  That's not what I was getting at.

I have been to quite a few locations inside the US and in other countries where your suggestion would simply not work.  Places where I would have been pleased to have a solid dialup service.

Perhaps you need to travel more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wifi has always been available in any hotel I have ever stayed at.  Even my recent trip to Costa Rica I had no problem publishing my photos online.  And my Verizon service works just about anywhere in the US.

Bob, maybe you just have bad luck.  Looking at your previous post on other subjects, you seem to run into quite a few problems.  On my end, everything works perfect.

And I like your idea about traveling, I will be doing so in June

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got to be kidding.  I've been at dozens inside the US where there was no voice cell service, much less any opportunity to connect to the net.  I also do quite a lot of processing on airplanes.  Further, even if I do have a connection, think about it - I may well come home with 8GB of files.  At an upload speed of 1Mbps (that's often what you can get with 4G cell service), that would take 18 hours to upload.  Opening a 35MB raw file?  At 4Mbps, that would take 70 seconds to open.

Let me be blunt - screw that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would work for me, on a typical shoot.  I use a Canon 6D and upload my files directly to my google drive within a minute our two. I do most of my work within miles from my house.

For some people this just isn't for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yaegermaster wrote:

Wifi has always been available in any hotel I have ever stayed at.  Even my recent trip to Costa Rica I had no problem publishing my photos online. 

Yaegermaster,

I love your ideas, but possibly the practicalities for some do not stack up,   

I am just an amateur and many of the places I go are simply just not well connected.    

To start with, try a months camping tour in Africa or perhaps ski from refuge to refuge in the Alps - and I suspect this is tourist stuff by some peoples standards.

Global quality connectivity is a lovely idea, but if you get off the trail it is simply not reliable enough to go for a software as a cloud service solution.

Just my thoughts,

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your polite response! I agree this wouldn't work for all.  But for me it would, that's why i posted it on this thread.  Its everything that i wish i could do that i simple cannot with the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are all entitled to our opinions and can express them.

Yaegermaster, certainly wouldn't work in I would guess 95% of the world but is a path that is being looked at I would say. But certainly at the moment having software and files only in the cloud is not practical IMHO.

BTW I will be in Uganda shortly for four months and there is no way your idea works in that part of the world where even electricity is unreliable let alone internet networks.

Great place to take photos though!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Geoff, that's what I thought this thread was for. I don't mean to replace  the entire desktop version, but to have a spin off for those who won't be needing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major wishes:

• A better auto contour detection (without those quircky artifacts)
  • Ability to tag photos in developpment mode.
  • Better shortcuts for tags (by first letter, i.e.)
  • Ability to reuse (or invert) only one mask for another local correction.
  • Ability to use a shift click with a brush to draw straight lines !
  • A better duplicate tool (probably it won't be obvious to do)
  • A global sharpen setting (not only local)
  • Layering one or more photos without Photoshop ?

Minor wishes:

• Ability to move pins of local corrections to a more significant place.
  • Ability to comment pins purpose.
  • Texture apply.
  • Several saved format cropping states for one photo (instead of making virtual copies for each crop tries)

Sorry for my english.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent ! Thanks for the link Keith.... one of my two main 'wishes' was for the ability to create off-centre vignettes.

My other main wish would be for a more sophisticated levels and curves tool, similar to the one in Nik Color Efex Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines