Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Work Flow Process Help

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm looking for a little help in establishing a good work flow process working with and resizing RAW files as I've run into a bit of a problem in how I currently do things.

The issue is, I've been sending some pictures via email that I have resized using Lightroom CC Classic for email purposes and now, this person would like some of the pictures printed off.

When I call the picture back up in Lightroom and change the file size to the 4x6 format, the resolution isn't as good as it looks in the smaller version of the same picture.

The resolution in the smaller picture is set at 72px/in for email so, I changed the resolution to 300px/in for printing purposes for the larger version.

On my computer screen the larger image still doesn't look as good as the smaller image.

I'm going to get the pictures printed off anyway so maybe things will look better on the actual printed image.

Is there an easier process than this jumping back and forth having to change file sizes and resolution for email and printing off?

Also, why can't I import an image back in Lightroom CC Classic in it's original RAW format after exporting it as a JPEG?

I'm guessing the obvious answer is that I exported it as a JPEG but, the original RAW format image still shows as being a RAW file in the original folder it is saved in.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emailing and printing are output functions. They can be done repeatedly as needed.

Once your raw files have been imported, they are forever in your catalog at the original camera resolution, unless you are removing them for some odd reason. Importing a second time is not needed, and 99% of the time a second import is the wrong answer to any problem.

In the LR Library grid view, select the edited raw file you want to print/email/export.

Click the "export" button.

Select the output options you desire.

For printing by the client, you will want to send them full-res (not resized) JPG files.

If you have done lots of cropping on the image, the remaining number of pixels may limit the size of prints you can make with them still looking good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you need to re-export from your catalog file at the correct resolution. You make an Export Preset/Template for this, and then reapply as needed in the future.

I wouldn't recommend up-scaling in Photoshop if you have original catalog file to use in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/P+Fleming  schrieb

The issue is, I've been sending some pictures via email that I have resized using Lightroom CC Classic for email purposes and now, this person would like some of the pictures printed off.

How did you send? Out of LR? I experienced to better export as jpg into a seperate folder and send this folder to clients. Now, if you need to readjust the cropping, you can simply do that in LR and still use the original file, which hopefully is available as RAW-file.

This could then get exported in whatever file you need for printing as desired. Does this help?

When I call the picture back up in Lightroom and change the file size to the 4x6 format, the resolution isn't as good as it looks in the smaller version of the same picture.

The resolution in the smaller picture is set at 72px/in for email so, I changed the resolution to 300px/in for printing purposes for the larger version.

Is there an easier process than this jumping back and forth having to change file sizes and resolution for email and printing off?

This should be answered as one possibility in my first part

Also, why can't I import an image back in Lightroom CC Classic in it's original RAW format after exporting it as a JPEG?

I'm guessing the obvious answer is that I exported it as a JPEG but, the original RAW format image still shows as being a RAW file in the original folder it is saved in.

You already answered this by yourself. I have one client using LR as well for some purposes, and once we did a "conversation" by exporting some images, put in a folder "SELECTION", export the catalogue with original files included. If your client then will do some edits, export his choice as well as a catalogue, including original files and send this to you, well then you could reimport raw files. You may realize that this will lead to a lot of hazzle and of course this is not recommended at all.

Jpgs are not able to be RAW anymore, of course.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your replies.

They have helped me understand things a bit better in doing what I want to do.

What was confusing to me was I couldn't bring up / find the original RAW file in the library film strip to make more size / resolution adjustments in the develope mode.

I knew that I should be able to do that.

Either I was doing something wrong or Lightroom was experiencing a little glitch at the time.

I closed out of Lightroom and then opened it back up and then was able to see the RAW files in the library film strip with the previous develope adjustments.

I was then able to make more adjustments of the RAW file in the develope mode.

Regarding emailing the photos, I don't send them using Lightroom.

After making edits to a photo, I export that photo to a folder on the desktop and then insert that photo in a email using my email client.

The pictures being sent via email to the recipient are just for viewing purposes only.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines