• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Xmp file creation does not work

New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to create xmp files for all dng files in my catalogue. This is not to discuss whether it's necessary or not. The story behind it is a little bit longer.

What I already checked and tried:

CTR+s (within library and dev tool)

Save metadata within menu structure 

Activate checkbox to save xmp files always

Check whether creation of xmp files is paused

I also checked my whole SSD to find xmp files. Without success.

I am working with dng. Raw files are deleted on most cases. 

Any suggestions what I may have overseen?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For DNG files, XMP "data" is stored inside the DNG file itself.  So, if you were looking for a sperate XMP file you won't find one.  If you already knew that, how were you verifying that the XMP data was not beomg saved?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you will find that if you modify the properties of the DNG files and designate them as reead-only before you modify them in Lightroom or Camera Raw you will find that the XMP file will be created as you desire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"if you modify the properties of the DNG files and designate them as reead-only before you modify them in Lightroom or Camera Raw you will find that the XMP file will be created"

That doesn't work anymore, unfortunately:

johnrellis_0-1716690143354.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. I tried it on my system before I replied. Windows 11, all Adobe apps up to date. It seemed to work. I guess I must have done something wrong.

UPDATE: I just went back to the DNG file that I made read-only and updated it. The XMP file date updated, but there was an ACR file created. I use LrC mostly, so I'm not all that familiar with Camera Raw. And, I'm getting older. Please explain what I am seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I tried the same test on my Windows 11 LR 13.3 (the first one was on Mac), and I get the same error.

I had never heard of a .acr file, but according to these threads, it's a binary sidecar file used to store masking information for the photo:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/question-does-anyone-understand-the-a...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/new-acr-file-after-update/td-p/12477333 

I can't find any formal documentation about it at helpx.adobe.com, but in the past, Adobe hasn't kept the Camera Raw information up-to-date with respect to sidecars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had never heard of a .acr file, but according to these threads, it's a binary sidecar file used to store masking information for the photo:

Correct. Lightroom writes that same data into XMP (when saving metadata to the files), but Camera Raw uses a separate ACR file for better performance. Lightroom does understand the ACR file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines