Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP Sidecar Issues

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm experiencing several issues related to XMP sidecar files in Lightroom Classic (version 13.5). All photos in my catalog fall into one of the following scenarios. Multiple scenarios can apply to different photos within the same folder. 

1. XMP Files Working Correctly: In this scenario, the XMP files are functioning as expected. I can use the backslash key in the Develop module to view the before-and-after changes, showing the differences between the unedited and edited versions of the photo.

2. Metadata Conflict Warning: For some photos, the edits I applied previously are not showing. The XMP file is present in the external SSD folder alongside the RAW file. An exclamation mark appears in the Library module with the message: "The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?" Unfortunately, neither selecting "Overwrite Settings" nor "Import Settings from Disk" resolves the issue.

3. Edits Not Applied, No Warning: For other photos, the edits I applied are not visible. Although the XMP file is correctly located in the external SSD folder with the RAW file, Lightroom only displays the original, unedited version. There is no exclamation mark or error message present.

Has anyone encountered similar issues or have suggestions on how to resolve them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a couple of thoughts.

1. When you import images into your LrC Catalog file if there is an XMP sidecar file present LrC will read the edits and metadata it recognizes and that info is stored in the Lightroom Catalog file.

2. While you are working in LrC by default it is reading and writing to the Lightroom Catalog and as far as LrC is concerned the info is in the Catalog.

3. There is an option in LrC to "Automatically write metadata to XMP" this is a secondary function and does not interfere with carrying out its function to write metadata to the Catalog. If you have the option selected you will see the conflict warning and you have a decision to make. If you know that metadata has been changed by another application and wish to import setting from disk some of. your work you have done in LrC may be lost. If you wish to preserve your LrC edits use the second option.

4. With respect your 3 issue I do not have the option "Automatically write Metadata to XMP" selected so the only thought I have is that LrC only reads from XMP at import or if you use the Menu option to read metadata from the file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 14.0, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed response! I really appreciate the thorough explanation; it’s given me a much clearer understanding of how XMP files work and what gets written to the catalog. While I’m still figuring out how to apply this information to resolve my issues, I feel like I’m getting closer to a solution. Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You stated "and what gets written to the catalog"

Every thing gets written Catalog, there are things that do not get written to XMP, like history, collections and other things that are specific to LrC.

You can do an online search to get specific details.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-top-10-gotchas/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 14.0, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines