• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: List view for Library

Advisor ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have the ability to show items in the Library as a list, rather like one might see in a spreadsheet program. Very small thumbnail alongside columns of data. The columns could be customized in order or content.
This would allow for another method of sorting by various data.
Oh, and make this list view printable while youre at it 😉

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have often wanted this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to have this and to make the column headings clickable to sort the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like this too, and other things along these lines:

- Allow users to define metadata tagsets: the metadata viewing presets.
- Support more of the things in sort order that are supported for lib filters and smart collections, and allow plugins to tap in to sort order...

Granted, part of the benefits of the proposed FR is for rapid scanning of a multitude of photos - my additions would not help with this, but would help with the other items.

Also, if support were added for plugins to get in on this, then there would be even more options... for example: smart columns (plugin driven and dynamic...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Beardsworth has released a new plugin that provides List-View functionality.

Guess what its called?

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/list-vie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John's plug-in is very useful as it is, but has some clunky workarounds to shortcomings in the SDK. Having a list view feature built-in to LR (as it should have been from the beginning) would alleviate the SDK limitations. In addition to what's stated above, the ability to export the list in multiple formats (CSV, XML, etc.) would be essential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check out your PM's at LRForums, Jim? Never did get that feedback from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,
I'm specifically referring to two areas we discussed, both of which you indicated were SDK limitations...
1) The inability to implement scrollbars in the list view. The use of a slider control to choose a 30 line segment, although usable, isn't nearly as efficient as using scrollbars when there are hundreds of items in the list.
2) The inability to make multiple selections using shift-click is again inefficient since the user has to individually select the desired items.
These strike me as "clunky", perhaps a bad term. "Inefficient" might be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was unclear, Jim. I was referring to our discussions re Numbers and CSV and I had PM'd you with a version to try out. Did you ever look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, to clarify...
My statement about having the ability to export was directed at the previous posts, not your plug-in. People had not mentioned an export capability, so I was adding it to the list of features desirable in a built-in list view.

Regarding your ListView 1.56, I finally got a chance to work with it this past weekend. The export features you added work very well and should meet most, if not all, user's needs for interfacing with other applications. The ability to save a selection as a collection also looks very useful. Had a couple of other things to discuss...for continuity will do it on LRForums as before.

Finally, for other users out there who may be reading this...
John's ListView plug-in fills a void that has been in LR since the beginning. If you haven't used a list view before, give the plug-in a try. You get a different view of your metadata, and the plug-in can fill in some of the missing functionality that LR should have as a DAM application. And the ability to export your metadata to other software like spreadsheets and databases makes the plug-in all that much more worthwhile. I recommend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I WANT !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John's ListView is superb in my view. Could not live without it.

ListView allows me integrate Lightroom with InDesign, which fills in many of the gaps in functionally within Lightroom, such as the proper placement of metadata in the print module. I also use it to proof metadata before exporting images for web use, as the Lightroom metadata fields have such small fonts and easier to review when the key fields (title, caption, headline, location) are in nice neat columns. Typos easily identified. John has also implemented many improvements I have requested over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has an obvious need. At the very least just to read the filenames of long named images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I appreciate that many users would prefer everything be native so they never have to use a plugin, I can't help but wonder:

* Did you try JB's plugin, and it fell short, or
* Did you never try it?

I mean, Adobe created a plugin SDK so they didn't have to make everything native (or conversely: so users don't have to do without the features they've been unable to implement natively). Why not just use a plugin:

* Until the functionality you desire is implemented natively, or
* forever

Don't get me wrong: I'm not pushing for plugins (mine or anybody else's), I'm really just curious: why are you posting in the forum about the need for a list view, without mentioning the plugin which currently implements a list view?

I mean, I get that the list-view plugin is not free - is that it?

???

PS - to read long filenames in Lr, it helps to make the thumbnails bigger, but yeah: you get less on a page that way..

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would be useful. Keywords for each image in a list, not only one image, geographical coordinates. And export to KML file and maybe other formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the List View plugin for a way to accomplish what you want now: http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this plug-in a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting, it can export keywords or geographical coordinates for many images, but probably can't import them. At least at that page such possibility is not mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is designed to provide a list view, not something else like importing data (though maybe it will go in that direction see http://lightroomsolutions.com/list-vi... ). There is a plugin called LrTransporter that is designed for importing from text files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. but someone merged Lightroom: Bulk export and import of data. thread with this one, what is nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree this merge devalues the OP so much the conversation makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to have a list view similar to what was in Aperture.  It would make it easier to sort and organize photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugins are fine if you really want to go in that direction. I prefer to use as few as possible...Could it really be that hard to for the Lr team to add this? I mean, they could ask the Bridge team to share. 😉
Steve Gandy
Photographer - Instructor
stevegandy.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm switching over from Aperture  where I used the List view daily to organize either by camera or time.  I'm looking for a work around in Lightroom and this lack to be limit my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate