• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Dedicated Keyboard shortcut for Zoom to Fit

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently Lightroom remembers the last two zoom states that can be toggled between with the space bar or mouse clicks. This allows one to set up a Fit view and one Zoom view that can be quickly called from keaybard or a midi controller. Problem... If I am zooming around a photo I now need to use the mouse to pick on the little Fit/Fill tab in the Navigator to return to FIT.  As I, like many others, use a midi input device to control much of LR it would be great to have a keyboard shortcut available that returns us directly to FIT no matter how much zooming around one has done. This would allow someone using a midi controller to zoom in several levels and then hit one key to return to FIT.  A sort of Go Home button.. This would aid power users I am sure.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, for some silly reason, the Lr devs decided that the classic Adobe zoom to fit keystroke (cmd/ctrl-0) will be used for displaying the histogram instead of Fit. It's really frustrating because cmd/opt-0 works for 1:1, so they're halfway there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it would be great to have a keyboard shortcut available that returns us directly to FIT no matter how much zooming around one has done."

I think I'm misunderstanding -- doesn't the space key do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.. The Space bar returns you to the last zoom state. So if you zoom in to look at an area and then zoom a bit more, the space bar just goes back one level of zooming. LR remembers the last two zoom levels in sequence. There is no shortcut directly back to FIT unless that was the last level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So if you zoom in to look at an area and then zoom a bit more, the space bar just goes back one level of zooming. LR remembers the last two zoom levels in sequence."

Hmm, I observe different behavior. When I zoom in multiple times, space always take me back to Fit. Here's a screen recording showing that, using all the different ways of zooming: The Navigator menu, the slider in the toolbar, box zoom (Ctrl/Cmd while dragging out a box), and scrubby zoom (Shift while dragging mouse left and right).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/feg3n5k10ukbjl1/zoom-back-fit.2022.04.09.mp4?dl=0

I wonder what accounts for the difference in behavior? Maybe post a screen recording so we can see precisely how your LR is behaving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same behavior as @johnrellis on my Windows 10 system with LrC 11.2. Try resetting your LrC preferences file as detailed in the below article. It can resolve many unexplained issues. Place a copy of the current Preferences file on your desktop so it can be easily restored if the issue persists.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote this inquirey specifically for Midi input users, as I control Lightroom with an X-Touch mini. But having rechecked all the ways I can configure the interation it seems I had my zoom buttonb set to zoom less.. which for somw reason started recording every level of zoom thus forgetting the FIT setting. I have now set my zoom button to ZOOM IN and my zoom out button to Toggle Enable/Dis Able. Zoom. It now appears to work as you my friends have stated. Unfortunately we have to rely on 3rd party developers to do anything Midi.. But thanks all for your concern and instruction.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i long ago added a feature request to implement a midi layer across all Adobe apps to allow for a simple "right-click, learn midi" option, but we all know that will never happen. It's nice to dream though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I currently use a Behringer X-Touch Mini (USAB-Midi Controller). Alongside a shareware app called Midi2LR.

It took a while to setup but most actions can be completed just using the assignable buttons and a built in layer function in the software.

For 65 bucks for an open box item on Ebay I got a great deal and pretty much fully functional Midi control in a small footprint. I would reccomend it. Absent Adobe implementing a Midi learning tool this I think is the best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate