Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply Preset at Import Question

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I set Lightroom Classic to apply a preset during import, is there a way to:

1) Have it back up the original DNG elsewhere?

2) Revert ot the original DNG in Lightroom?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your questions need some more explanations, but I will have a try-

"preset during Import" - It all depends what type of preset you are talking about- Import, Development, etc. Commonly it is a Develop Preset that determines a profile and settings that determine the initial 'look' or 'color' of the image you see in the Library.

1) "backup the original DNG"

There is an option in the Import dialog to make a Copy (to a dated folder) of the photos when you import, but this should be considered temporary only. YOU need to use other software methods to keep backups of your files.

2) "Revert to the Original"  Not understood! The "Original" is the file that is referenced in the Catalog. The thumbnail preview you see in the catalog library is linked to the "original" file (irrespective of it being any type of file. DNG, or other).

Explain some more.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I would like to back up a copy of the untouched DNG to a folder outside of Lr before any changes are made to the file by my preset.

I have made a preset of the common settings I use to get my images to an initial "baseline". In some cases, I would like to be able to go back to the original untouched DNG in Lr. Is that possible if the preset edits are applied at import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originals are always untouched in Lightroom.

The edits are saved in the catalog, and are only applied to new files (derived from the original) when you export.

Using the History panel in Develop, you can easily go back to the "untouched" file with no edits, so there is no need for an extra copy of the file for that purpose. (but you should always make backups of your files for safety)

You can also create several versions of a file with different edits using virtual copies.

Virtual copies are saved as different sets of edits in the catalog, and they all reference the same original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be easy to Reset your photo to the RAW state without the import preset settings applied.  It was called Reset(Adobe) accessed by holding the SHIFT key while pressing the Reset button but Adobe for some reason took this tool out of Lightroom 9.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crazy, there doesn't seem to be any way to revert to the original DNG once the settings have been applied at import? Dosesn't make much sense. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1. I just performed a reset on an image taken this morning that was imported using a preset that applied the Adobe Color profile and applied a few other adjustments. The reset process changed the profile back to Camera Standard, and canceled all of the other adjustments that have been applied by my preset. I don't know if it's because of the way I have things set in my preferences, but the raw file was pretty much untouched after the reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you reset it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked on the reset button, lower right-hand corner of the develop module.

Annotation 2020-04-28 135415.jpg

If that isn't working for you like it did for me, then perhaps you should take time to read a link that is provided in one of  the "featured" posts in the forum:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lu_en/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it but it only reset the image to the import with the preset settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's because you have set that as a default preset for the camera. The reset button resets to default, and I haven't chosen a default setting. Therefore, it will clear the prreset that I chose in the import dialog and leave the raw file without any adjustments. I have chosen NOT to have a default preset. A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct Jim that if you just use an Import Preset" than Reset really resets.  In my post is said "import preset" but I meant to say "RAW default preset" in the Preferences.  Unfortunately if you use a RAW default preset" than Reset only go back to this default and not to the original RAW setting that would be set without the default.  The full Adobe(Reset) would go back to the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then if anyone wants the option to reset the images, it appears that it would be best NOT to choose a default preset in the preferences. I have been wrestling with understanding the whole concept, and I like the way I have it working. Think I will keep it this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JIM

You wouldn't have to worry about it if Adobe had not removed a perfectly good tool that took care of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Adobe DID mess things up. They seem to have a habit of doing that, and that often requires an adjustment in workflow to make things comfortable again. I'm not arguing with you, really. I'm just suggesting one way (not the only way) to circumvent the problem. If it isn't a reasonable solution then disregard it. The way I have it set up seems to satisfy my workflow. That's why I suggested it. If it doesn't work in your situation then you'll have to find another reasonable solution to counteract another Adobe screwup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you Jim about messing things up.    I like the NEW camera default system as I can now see what defaults are used for each camera and easily change them whereas before when you just hit the modifier/RESET it just hid everything somewhere.  It actually works better than the old method.  It needs a few tune ups in the future like to fix a few issues like this but I think Adobe will eventually get around to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the "Zeroed" preset in the pre installed Classic General presets.  This will reset everything except for  Gradient and Radial filters but you probably dont have those in your Default Preset.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 4.56.53 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Import my Nikon D750 raw NEF images using a Preset that includes my xRite created "D750" profile.

This D750 profile appears on all imported photos.

I can click on the [Reset] button to undo all Develop adjustments, AND I can change the Profile to anything from the Profile Chooser.

So an Import with "D750" profile can be reset and changed to "Adobe Flat" or "Adobe Neutral" profile.

It is a two-step workflow. But isn't this what might be called a total "Reset" ?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so all the discussion in the thread is semantics about the original digital image capture. So the camera captures raw data on a sensor in the camera which is sensor timed by the light transmitted through a lens on the camera similar to what happened with film cameras. The data is not in a view format to be presented on the camera or on a computer.

The camera firmware almost instantly applies the needed profiles and adjustments made in the camera by the user to create a preview in a rgb digital format as a jpeg preview that is viewable on the camera monitor. Depending on the setting the user has chosen the firmware will save the rendered jpeg file with the preview in the file to the SD or similar card in the camera. There usually is the option to save the raw data and this will be saved to the SD card with the Settings applied in the camera and a jpeg preview, also you can save both an original jpeg and raw. If you take the option to save the jpeg file only the raw file data will be discarded. That raw file data is the original capture.

When you import the Raw file or a DNG file if it has been produced in the camera into Lightroom the application will render the raw data but it will not be able to utilize the camera profiles or most of the in camera settings since that is proprietory info and is only able to use the profiles created by Adobe and other processing necessary to produce a rendered file for display. In the latest versions of Lightroom there are multiply profiles created for each camera model including camera matching.

The next issue in the thread is we do not know at what stage the DNG file is created was it produced in camera or when importing the Raw file from the camera and created by Lightroom at which point info from Lightroom would have been placed in the DNG file header.
Just some thoughts to consider as to what is the Original.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have come to understand it (I think), if you set this setting to a preset then that preset becomes the default that the Lightroom reset button will reset to. I apologize for the redundancy. If you leave that set to camera settings, and then just choose the preset in the import dialog, then the reset button works the way you describe and the way it seems to work for me. Like I say, "I think" that is the way it works now. At least that is my understanding, and that is how it seems to be working on my computer. I hope this isn't totally confusing.

Annotation 2020-04-28 193332.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you're doing there is importing the untouched RAW or DNG file. I want to apply adjustments/settings at import to speed up my process but would love the option to go back to the untouched DNG file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! And that's what the original question was all about. The user wanted to apply adjustments on import, but wanted the ability to reset the DNG and have it revert to the way it was when it was first imported with no adjustments. Having these settings this way, and then choosing a preset in the import dialog will give you that capability. If you choose to have a default preset then it isn't possible to "completely" reset the raw file. So the user must make the decision whether to have default settings that will be applied in every situation or whether to choose a preset in the import dialog. I suppose it depends on how diverse the photographer is. By choosing the preset in the import dialog, the user could have separate presets for landscapes, outdoor portraits, studio portraits, interior real estate photos, etc. Then, depending on what the project is, the appropriate preset could be applied during import. On the other hand, if the user doesn't have that type of diversity, then perhaps a single preset could be assigned as the default and everything will work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jim, however the very fundamental question is that DNG created by his Camera Model or is it created by Lightroom during the import process?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm in over my head. You will have to explain that one to me. Actually, it doesn't seem to matter. I just (right now) went and did a reset on an image that I converted to DNG on import into Lightroom Classic, and you have seen how my settings are. The reset process completely reset the DNG to an untouched image as expected. So I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some Camera Manufactrers that support the DNG file format and create the RAW format as a DNG file and save to the SD card in the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines