Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I safely delete Media Cache Files

New Here ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Mac Book Pro and a extern HD (time capsule). Since I organized my photo's on de extern HD with Lightroom 6, there is a huge file in Library/ Cache/ Adobe/ Lightroom/ Video  it is called Media Cache file on my Mac Book Pro HD, it is about 220 GB. Can I safely delete those files??

Thanks

Nelien

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's huge seeing as the normal setting in Preferences for video cache is 3GB. There's a Purge Cache button in the Video Cache Settings section of File Handling in Preferences. Make sure Limit video cache size is on too.

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 2.06.34 AM.png

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for answering. I already did hit that button 'purge cache', but nothing happened. I 'am thinking to empty the Media cache folder manually, unless  that is a stupid thing todo.

I think it was not clever from me to sync the extern hard drive ' data'  map in Lightroom?   Lightroom looked for all the photo and video's (! yes I have a lot of homevideo's in there) Probably that caused the problem.

Thanks for the answer.

Nelien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Nelien,

Generally speaking anything in a cache is there for quick retrieval and can be deleted as it's recreated when needed. As long as you know the original video files are stored safely, you should be able to delete the contents of the folder.

Sean

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines