• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import, it hangs

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import from an iPhone into Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.14.4 and it hangs -- says "Importing files" but the progress bar never moves. Tried many times over several weeks.

-- Clue: At one point, I saw an alert that said PTPCamera process is unresponsive and looked that up -- apparently a process used by Photos (which isn't running).

-- Another clue: Sometimes, after I click Export and choose iPhone, the import dialog says "No photos found." 

Experiments:

- I tried unchecking all files and just checking one JPG file, still no progress.

- I tried importing files (a .JPG and a .MOV) from my hard disk -- that worked.

- Itried a different USB cable, no change.

So it seems like only the photos on the iPhone (connected via USB cable) are a problem.

I'm stumped! Hope someone can help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Problem solved!!! But not in a way anyone else will find helpful, I am afraid.

I replaced the phone (for unrelated reasons) and the new one works fine. No idea why it failed before. Maybe a hardware issue? Or more likely, some undiagnosable weird software gremlins. If this happens to you, try a whole-phone backup and restore.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to never liking the way programs scan phones for photos, it has been years since I tried letting Lightroom do it.

The way I get my phone's photos into Lightroom's catalog is:

- Using Windows File Explorer (or Mac Finder) copy the photos from the phone to the computer's hard drive.

- Import the photos from the hard drive into the catalog.

Lightroom should be getting it right in the first place. However, since I shoot few photos using my phone, doing this the long way does not bother me.

I know that I am no help here. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you power cycled your phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, no luck. One of the suggestions was:

Ensure that HEIC support is enabled in Adobe Camera Raw:

In the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box, ensure that the JPEG/HEIC field is set to either Automatically open JPEGs and HEICs with settings or Automatically open all supported JPEGs and HEICs. To access Camera Raw Preferences, click the Open Preferences Dialog button  in the Camera Raw dialog box.

but I cannot find a Camera Raw Preferences or Dialog any where. Anyone know where that's hiding?

Also suggested I turn iCloud off; no luck there, either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved!!! But not in a way anyone else will find helpful, I am afraid.

I replaced the phone (for unrelated reasons) and the new one works fine. No idea why it failed before. Maybe a hardware issue? Or more likely, some undiagnosable weird software gremlins. If this happens to you, try a whole-phone backup and restore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines