CR3 and Lightroom Classic

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

I have Lightroom 4, version 6.0
I cannot import CR3 files.

Is this a marketing trick to make us buy the subscription version, or do you intend eventually to make it compatible with CR3 files?

Is there a workaound (not everybody has unlimited resources or wants to be dependent on the subscription version of your software)

Gorazd.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So which version do you really have, Lightroom 4 or Lightroom 6? There IS a big difference. However, either version is terribly obsolete. And another question, which camera model are the CR3 files from? If it is a relatively new camera then even Lightroom 6 isn't going to support them because Lightroom has to be updated in order to support new cameras. There were 14 updates for Lightroom 6. They are not readily available anymore because Adobe has abandoned support for that version. But if you go through this page you will find a link where you can download the 6.14 update which will give you everything that was ever made available for Lightroom 6.

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-lightroom-6-cc-direct-download-links.html 

If that still doesn't give you support for your raw files then your other alternative would be to download the free DNG converter from Adobe. The process then would be for you to create digital negative (DNG) copies of your raw files that could then be opened with the version of Lightroom that you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for quick reply.

It is really hard for me to determine, which wercion of LR I have.

On the top it is written Lightroom 4 (in the windows top line, along with the catalog name)

New to teh LR logo it says Adobe Lightroom CC2015

When I go to system info, it says CC2015.14

And the licence certificate (from the purchase) says Lightroom 6.0 MLP AOO

When I go to Updates... my account shows that Lightroom Clasic that I have is up to date, and when I go to learn more it says I have version 9.3

So total mess.

However, the camera that produces the infamous  CR3 files is Canon EOS 90D.

Any chance of compatibility? Working with conversion program is not really the solution that led me to purchase LR. And I will not buy the subscription plan.

Thank you again for your help,

Gorazd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only versions of Lightroom that have been available from Adobe since the end of 2017 have been subscription versions, so if you rule that out then the DNG Converter is your only alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if I would have known that, I either wouldn't buy new Canon or Lightroom.

Now I am stuck with semi-functioning software.
Too bad, nice marketing ploy though.

Thank you for your answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult to determine what it is you are really running on your system because Lightroom Classic 9.3 is the current version. But the problem is that it is subscription only. You cannot purchase it outright. There is no more standalone Lightroom available. So if you say that you don't want to subscribe, and yet you indicate that you have 9.3 installed, and you're not paying a subscription, something just isn't right. If you can copy the first 10 lines of the Lightroom system info dialog and post it so that we can see what it is that you have, that might help. Use the Internet and post the screen capture using the tools provided.

Message box.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seams odd, but no, I have purchased one time licence, not subscription plan.First 10 lines are:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.14 [ 1149743 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18362
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3,4 GHz
Built-in memory: 16301,6 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16301,6 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 603,1 MB (3,6%)
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 92MB / 8150MB (1%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, click on Help, click on System Info, Click on Copy. Paste that into a reply. Mostly interested in first 5 or so lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever paid for a Adobe Plan? Perhaps the Photography Plan. You would be paying Monthly, or Yearly?

If, perhaps you have. Go to Adobe.com, sign in, select Manage, Look at your Plan(s)

Are you paying fir a Plan? What one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not paying for the plan, but I was testing Adobe Acrobat DC for a week. I also have a document and creative cloud free memberships...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you. You have CC 2015.14 which is Lightroom 6.14. You have everything that was ever made available for Lightroom 6. There are no more updates for that version of Lightroom, and there will never be another update for that version. Your camera was not supported in that version. It will never be supported for the native raw files in that version. Since you don't want to subscribe and therefore upgrade, your option is to download the free DNG converter from Adobe and create digital negative (DNG) copies of your images. Those DNG files will contain the raw data that were in the original raw files, and those DNG files can then be opened in the Lightroom that you are using. That is your option, that is your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clearing this out for me.

Gorazd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CC 2015.14

So, that would be Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Release 2015.14. a.k.a V6.14. That is the last stand alone version. Adobe will not be updating it.

When did you buy that, should  not have been available for several years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines