• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

external drive full of photos died - how do I point lr to the backup?

Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large LR catalog with recent photos on my internal drive, and then older photos on 3 external drives.  One of the drives appears to be dead (no power even with a different power cable).  I have a backup, so this is not a tragedy. 

How do I proceed?  Can I point LR to the backup volume for those photos (all 33k photos)?  Do I create a new folder within LR that points to the backup volume?  Do I have to remove the dead volume from my library and add the backup volume into the library? 

This is defintiely soemthing I want to do properly and only 1 time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Just simply point LR to the backup drive in the Folders panel. Relocate the top-most folder and LR will auto-update everything under that folder.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Of course, you also need to replace the backup drive as soon as possible since you now no longer have a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just simply point LR to the backup drive in the Folders panel. Relocate the top-most folder and LR will auto-update everything under that folder.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Of course, you also need to replace the backup drive as soon as possible since you now no longer have a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect!  I'm back in business.  And I waited until I had the new backup drive in hand before pointing to LR to the backup.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines