Highlighted

How can I export people tags with associated faces to the web?

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some vintage photos (taken at least 100 years ago) that I've carefully tagged using facial recognition in Lightroom Classic CC. I'd like to share these photos with each photo tag preserved above each face with family and genealogical societies. In some cases, I have class or sports team photos, and identification of the individuals in the photo holds a great deal of value for the people I'm sharing the photos with. Is there any way of exporting people tags with associated faces to the web?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I export people tags with associated faces to the web?

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some vintage photos (taken at least 100 years ago) that I've carefully tagged using facial recognition in Lightroom Classic CC. I'd like to share these photos with each photo tag preserved above each face with family and genealogical societies. In some cases, I have class or sports team photos, and identification of the individuals in the photo holds a great deal of value for the people I'm sharing the photos with. Is there any way of exporting people tags with associated faces to the web?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 02, 2017 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR doesn't have this capability, and I don't know of any plugins that do. 

LR does export the tagged face rectangles in an industry-standard format defined by the Metadata Working Group, but not many services or programs know how to interpret that metadata.  (The now-dead Picasa does, any others?)

Perhaps someone else can make a suggestion?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - I tagged faces in old photos of my father and would like to share (or publish) them, with individual face tagging.

Is there any suggestion?

(original answer is from 2017)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

"I have the same issue - I tagged faces in old photos of my father and would like to share (or publish) them, with individual face tagging. Is there any suggestion? (original answer is from 2017)"

Unfortunately, I think the answer remains the same. Neither LR, nor any third-party program I know of, will overlay the face rectangles and face names on exported/published photos.  (LR stores the rectangles and names in industry-standard metadata fields.)  I think the best you can do is (painfully) make screenshots of LR's Loupe view with the face rectangles enabled:

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but its 1600 photos (from over 44 years), Scrrenshots is not the answer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been searching on-and-off for this feature for years and not found it yet. I'd love to know if anyone else has a solution.

The best setup that I had was in combination with Picasa, which could at least help with the face thumbnails, people  management and thumbnail export.

From there however it was less than optimal, as I resorted to manually created & edited slide summaries (e.g. Powerpoint etc), where I pasted the main image, and dragged-in the various people face thumbnails and pasted-in the person details (e.g. <name> b<year>). I positioned the people details & thumbnails to align with where they were in the main photo to help with identification. It was quite tricky for photos of larger groups of people, but I always found a way in the end.

It did produce great results for family history summary documents, which I then shared online or sent off for printing & binding, and put out at family events, or gave as gifts. But it was very time-consuming and I would so like to find a more streamlined (i.e. automated) solution.

Does anyone have any better ways?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It drives me crazy that Adobe does not embed all of the metadata into the files.  The facial tagging all seems contained in the database, so after spending many hours tagging tons of faces in Adobe Elements, it was all lost when I moved my pictures to a new NAS device with a different path to the pictures.  Maybe there is a way around this, but I have not been able to find it.

I've instead starting looking for other software options.  So far, digiKam is the only one I've found that will embed the facial recognition information into the files.  It will also scan for faces, and will try to predict based on faces you have identified previously.  I'm not crazy about the interface though, and the geotagging feature seems unnecessarily difficult IMO.

I feel like the things I am looking for in photo organizing software are things that a lot of people would want, and yet, it seems impossible to find any software that does it all easily.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It drives me crazy that Adobe does not embed all of the metadata into the files."

I don't know how Photoshop Elements handles face tagging, but LR does write all the face rectangles and names into a photo's metadata, following industry standards. (Unfortunately, only a few programs follow those standards, and one, Picasa, is long-defunct.)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0