• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can you create a virtual copy in a Lightroom plugin?

Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked over the Lightroom SDK and did not see any documentation on creating a virtual copy. Is there an undocumented API for this?

If not, is there a plan to add this into the SDK?

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know is to stuff the keyboard with Ctrl/Cmd-'

See http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_sdk_create_virtual_copies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Haven't heard of an undocumented API for this, and plans for new SDK functions don't tend to get discussed in advance.

As Rob has noted this request has been made in the feature request site so they know there is interest in it. You should vote for the feature if you want it and haven't already done so.

He has also posted a recipe as a workaround. Not a big fan of the keyboard stuffing approach myself - I have robustness and cross-platform compatibility concerns about it - but you might be happy to use it for your purposes.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2011 Jul 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Yeah, I have some good news and some bad news:

- Good news: Keyboard stuffing (as implemented in the elare framework) works equally well on both platforms, provided the appropriate keystroke exists on both platforms.

(Mac version uses applescript, Windows uses autohotkey - both assure Lightroom is the target) - Note: @2011-07-30, I haven't actually tested this particular function on Mac - but I've tested other similar functions on both platforms.

- Bad news: It doesn't always work on either platform, since keystrokes may be usurped by open dialog boxes and open text fields in Lightroom...

- Good news: failure is 100% detectable.

Bottom line:

---------------

If the kludgy nature of this solution would be more bad than good for you and/or your users, then this is not a viable solution.

If your users would prefer the caveats in order to be able to get the job, then this solution will work well enough for now.

PS - I'm presently using it in ChangeManager and its a godsend for me. Since I understand the limitations, my failure rate is appx. 0%.

~R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If anyone would like to vote for this feature, you can do so here

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_sdk_create_virtual_copies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines