• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reset/delete autocomplete entries in file info metadata?

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 10 years ago this question was asked and a solution was provided. However it was archived.  I am having the same issue.  I have entered incorrect (misspellings, wrong data, etc) into some of the data fields in the metadata.  I have a large number of photos to enter metadata and want to speed up my workflow by eliminating/deleting these incorrect entries that show up in the autocomplete dropdown list.  Where are these autocomplete entries stored? Can the listings be edited without having to shutdown LR and start over.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

You can clear the suggestion lists for all the fields by doing Catalog Settings > Metadata > Clear All Suggestion Lists. There's no way to edit individual lists or entries, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Library go to menu  Metadata/Purge Unused Keywords.   In the past I have had to restart Lightroom after doing the purge to make this work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob but I'm talking about the autocomplete entries not the Keywords.  I the library module I have a Metadata panel open on the right pane.  I can enter for example type Peru in the sub-location data field for a photo and hit enter. On a subsequent photo when I want to enter Peru again in the sub-location field I can start typing P and a dropdown list shows all the entries starting with P.  My issue is that I accidentally hit enter/return and "P" was entered not Peru.  So my question is where can a find the autocomplete list to remove an entry I do not want in the dropdown list. I've tried several things like hit delete key when the P shows up.  Shift/command/option key+delete to no avail.  Looking for an answer other than shutting down and starting over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can clear the suggestion lists for all the fields by doing Catalog Settings > Metadata > Clear All Suggestion Lists. There's no way to edit individual lists or entries, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John thanks.  It was so obvious to look into catalog settings not in anything to do with library setting, view options, etc.  This is only a problem when I post process a 3 week long trip overseas trip and have a variety of photos needing multiple descriptions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, for me the clear function has no effect, I still a have some keywords missing in the autocomplete function and its very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I've found the solution by deleting the helper.lrdata file. After restarting lightroom I've recovered all my keywords in the autocomplete list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines