Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save a Zoomed-in picture

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm posting this as I could not find any answer to this question.

1. I perform a Corp on my original picture ( size = FIT )

2. I zoomed in to the desired location on the cropped image ( Size =  1:1 or 2:1 )

3. Now, how can I safe this zoomed in image ?

If I try to export this, it will just go back to the Fit size in item 1.

Help pls....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Export saves your whole image however it is currently cropped, and does not pay attention to your viewing zoom. This is normal for all image editing programs.

You can, easily and efficiently, have more than one version of a given photo showing in LR: by making a "virtual copy". This inherits all the same current editing, but can be further edited independently, or independently cropped to show whatever smaller part of the photo you want. The full photo still remains in place too, alongside. Then

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export saves your whole image however it is currently cropped, and does not pay attention to your viewing zoom. This is normal for all image editing programs.

You can, easily and efficiently, have more than one version of a given photo showing in LR: by making a "virtual copy". This inherits all the same current editing, but can be further edited independently, or independently cropped to show whatever smaller part of the photo you want. The full photo still remains in place too, alongside. Then you can select and Export this new, specially cropped virtual image version - saving out an external file which only includes that smaller part of the photo. You can choose whether to resize this Export (to a certain number of pixels): if you un-check this resizing, LR saves out the original pixels as viewed inside LR at "1:1 scale".

Once you are finished with this (extra) virtual copy version you can safely delete it - doing this does not affect the master version, nor the source file on disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Richard. Can you give a bit more detail about how to make a "Virtual Copy" ?  And is it selected and exported in the normal way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, a Virtual Copy appears as a completely normal image thumbnail (apart from showing a turned-over corner graphic, and showing a Copy Name as well as a filename). It makes no substantial difference within the Catalog -  only, you can't write LR edits out to the file as well as into the Catalog, when it's a virtual copy. Each version of this photo is otherwise edited independently. You can even make a virtual copy switch over and become the new master copy, for a given imported photo. 

When viewing an image in Develop, use the right-click context menu or the Photo menu and select "Create Virtual Copy" - otherwise, the shortcut is " Ctrl+' " (hold Control key / press single quote key).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Size = Fit is not a Crop. you have to go to the Develop module and use the CROP Tool to Crop the image to the size and area you want to preserve. Then Export it as a New image file.

What you really need is to view some online Tutorials on how LR works and how to work with LR.

Cropping and Exporting, saving as a new file, are 2 basic functions of any image editing program.

The ratios you mention, 1:1 2:1, are for displaying the images as 1 screen pixel to 1 image pixel or 2 screen pixel to 1 image pixels.

That has nothing to do with cropping an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard. This works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines