Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

importing from a CD

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR Classic. When I import images from a CD in my CD drive into LR,

and remove the dics, the image file when I go to develope "could not be found".

I know the original is on the CD, so does that mean in order to

have it in Lightroom to edit, I always have to have the CD installed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

"... does that mean in order to have it in Lightroom to edit, I always have to have the CD installed?"

No, it does not mean that you always have to have the CD inserted, there are other ways (and better ways) to do this. Normally, imported photos are stored on the hard disk and then this problem goes away. To import to the hard disk, you need to use the COPY option in the Lightroom Classic Import dialog box and then select a folder on one of your hard disks. If you import using ADD (not recommen

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"... does that mean in order to have it in Lightroom to edit, I always have to have the CD installed?"

No, it does not mean that you always have to have the CD inserted, there are other ways (and better ways) to do this. Normally, imported photos are stored on the hard disk and then this problem goes away. To import to the hard disk, you need to use the COPY option in the Lightroom Classic Import dialog box and then select a folder on one of your hard disks. If you import using ADD (not recommended when the original is on a CD), then yes you must have the CD inserted.

This is a fundamental principle of how Lightroom Classic works. The photos are not stored in the Lightroom Catalog. They are stored outside the catalog, usually on the a hard disk, and so the photo must be available on a hard disk or inserted CD for Lightroom Classic to work with it. Now (and not at some later time) would be a good time for you to read How Lightroom Classic Catalogs Work, as this will save you time and frustration if you understand this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I will try it this way and read the information you attached. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found the problem. I had "Add" clicked. Changed to "Copy'! Yeah! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines