Highlighted

Library and Develop windows display different colours.

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, strange one here.

So i own the BENQ SW271 monitor on my pc. I have calibrated it using the monitors internal system and an xrite calibrator.

I have been doing this for two months now and its been fine. (Although slightly confusing, as my monitor displays AdobeRGB. When i export an SRGB Jpeg windows photo viewer can't display it so it looked different than in Lightroom, i just drag it onto Google Chrome to see the image looks like it did in Lightroom.)

I just re calibrated my monitor as before and opened Lightroom, when im in the Library module the images look as they should (finished work) but when i click on the Develop module the image is really over saturated. Before i re calibrated my monitor these two images would look the same between modules..

In the develop module it looks awful but if i make the image full screen it goes back to what the image should look like, then come out of full screen and the image is over saturated again..

I have saved everything and uninstalled Lightroom twice, the first time i saved my preferences and the second time i didn't, now I'm back to square one but all my preferences have gone and need setting up again.

I wouldn't mind if the Library module was the one looking over saturated as when im editing images in develop i cant tell what im doing!

Can anyone suggest whats going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Library and Develop windows display different colours.

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, strange one here.

So i own the BENQ SW271 monitor on my pc. I have calibrated it using the monitors internal system and an xrite calibrator.

I have been doing this for two months now and its been fine. (Although slightly confusing, as my monitor displays AdobeRGB. When i export an SRGB Jpeg windows photo viewer can't display it so it looked different than in Lightroom, i just drag it onto Google Chrome to see the image looks like it did in Lightroom.)

I just re calibrated my monitor as before and opened Lightroom, when im in the Library module the images look as they should (finished work) but when i click on the Develop module the image is really over saturated. Before i re calibrated my monitor these two images would look the same between modules..

In the develop module it looks awful but if i make the image full screen it goes back to what the image should look like, then come out of full screen and the image is over saturated again..

I have saved everything and uninstalled Lightroom twice, the first time i saved my preferences and the second time i didn't, now I'm back to square one but all my preferences have gone and need setting up again.

I wouldn't mind if the Library module was the one looking over saturated as when im editing images in develop i cant tell what im doing!

Can anyone suggest whats going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off the option to use the GPU in the LR preferences.

Also try using the sRGB monitor profile.

Change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted? - The Lightroom Queen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, firstly i don't want to have to switch my monitor to sRGB every time i go into Develop, but that does work.

Turning off the graphics card also works. Thanks for the advice.

Surely i want the power of my graphics card in lightroom though?? Why has this fixed the issue?

Still, i would rather fix the issue instead of compromise, as it did work before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 0
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Alex+12  wrote

Ok, firstly i don't want to have to switch my monitor to sRGB every time i go into Develop, but that does work.

Turning off the graphics card also works. Thanks for the advice.

Surely i want the power of my graphics card in lightroom though?? Why has this fixed the issue?

Still, i would rather fix the issue instead of compromise, as it did work before.

You are doing it to TEST if your monitor profile is corrupted.

If you aren't using a 4 or 5 K monitor the GPU setting can, and mostly will, slow down LR.

Why will it fix the issue? I have no idea.

Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh i see, well my screen is 4K so i think i'd rather the graphics card was being used. Does it just use the CPU if it's off, or the onboard graphics chip in the motherboard?

I wonder why turning off the graphics card fixed that, does anyone know?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, more than likely the GPU drives or the calibration of the monitor, something is going wrong with the GPU option turned on.

Yes from what I read the V4 setting shouldn't be used. Re-calibrate using the V2 setting and test.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recalibrated using the V2 option and it's still the same.

I just tried moving an image to Photoshop via the 'Edit in' tab.. a warning box came up saying that the monitors colour profile is corrupt...think im going to reset my monitor and re install the Palette software, see what happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using a Mac see if the suggestions at the below link help. Pay particular attention to this note at the beginning of the article.

Early 2019

Mac Users - Errors in Validation Bug

https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/calibrating-benq-sw-monitors-with-palette-master-elements

EDIT: Just read this article and I suggest using Profile Type 'Matrix' if you haven't already tried that.

Profile Version - V2 ICC profiles are the most generally compatible and there's really no actual practical benefit to V4 profiles, so go with V2 here.

Profile Type - The most accurate is 16 Bit LUT, so we have chosen that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 1
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re install the Palette software

It's beginning to look like a wave of posts from different people having trouble with BenQ's Palette Master software (both here and in the Photoshop forum). It appears to be very buggy indeed.

The best advice I can give, for now, is to keep using it just to calibrate the monitor. That part seems to be OK. Make sure it's correctly loaded into the monitor's internal LUT, and once there, it will stick.

Then use some other software to build the actual monitor profile. This is where the BenQ software fails. For those who don't have access to other software, a good free option is the open-source DisplayCAL. It can be downloaded here, and should work with all mainstream sensors on the market: DisplayCAL—Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS

You need to set DisplayCAL to profile only, not calibrate.

Having to use two different calibrators is a nuisance, but apart from that it will work just as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 1
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid all confusion - what Todd is saying is use matrix, not LUT. To which I agree.

I won't pretend to know the anatomy of a monitor profile, but LUT (table-based) profiles are generally regarded as more prone to problems. I have seen some problems with LUT profiles myself, in some applications, mostly excessive black clipping in more or more channels. Matrix has always been entirely problem-free for me .

Many high-end calibrators make matrix profiles only, like NEC Spectraview II. With a high quality monitor, the supposedly higher accuracy of LUT is not an issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but i have a PC. Still no joy with those settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is where the BenQ software fails"

Is this why after calibration, the validate calibration fails?

Its just weird that i could use my graphics card in Lightroom a few days ago now i can't nor can i send an image to PS without an error message about my screen calibration being corrupted.

I have just downloaded DisplayCal. How do you make it only use a profile not generate one?

Could i not just use the xrite software that came with my xrite calibrator?

Also, i just did another caibration on my Benqsw271 using V2 and matrix and the target temp was 6500 but the achieved was 7800k?? What is going on..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but i have a PC. Still no joy with those settings.

Open Windows Color Management and post a screenshot here. Just want to confirm that the new calibration profile is actually being assigned as below

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (5).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything looks good, but you have 'Profile Version' set to v4. EDIT: Try creating a new profile with Matrix and v2 selected. Not sure why the 'Achieved Temperature' is higher than 'Target,' but probably another bug. Anyhow see if the new profile with these settings fixes the difference between the Develop and Library module previews.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i had already tried a v2 with matrix then tried the v4 again and posted that.

I have just done it again (v2 and matrix) and the achieved colour is still 7600k with the target at 6500k.

Strangely now after calibration, when i click the validate button it passes the quick test for luminosity and colour...

When in the develop module in Lightroom the colours are still awful ..unless i make it full screen.

If i send it to PS it still brings up a message saying the calibration is defective, with an option to continue anyway. When in PS the photo looks as it should, the same applies to the Library module in LR.

If i disable my 1080ti graphics card in LR preferences, the colour is correct in both the library and the develop windows but i still get the warning if i move a photo to PS using the 'edit it' tab.

It might be worth mentioning that i have a second monitor, for gaming, i calibrated that as you would a normal monitor. I've uninstalled the xrite software and all calibrations for that 2nd monitor thinking it might have them confused but its not done anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows Color Management try replacing the BenQ profile with Adobe Standard using the 'Add' button. Make sure to close and reopen LR every time you change the profile, which allows LR to load the newly assigned profile. This is very important! Try again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok there isn't an Adobe standard option in that list when i click add..i deleted the one for my monitor though and re ran the calibration. The target achieved now is 6500k but strangely fails the validation test.

Before i did this i realised my nvidia driver was needing updated so did that and confirmed the 1080ti driver was up to date also.

Still the same in LR

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad........You want to assign the Adobe RGB 1998 color profile, which is in this folder.

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

Select it, click on the 'Set  as Default Profile' button, close and reopen LR, and try again.

Before i did this i realised my nvidia driver was needing updated so did that and confirmed the 1080ti driver was up to date also.

How many graphics cards and monitors do you have installed on the system? If you have two monitors disconnect the non-BENQ monitor so we can eliminate that as a source of the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, in that folder there is see all the calibrations for my monitor that i've done, an sRGB colour space, a RSWOP, a wscRGB and a wsRGB option, i don't see an Adobe RGB.

If i change the file type to All Files i see an Adobe RGB file but its size is zero, i tried selecting it but it doesn't add anything to the list..

I have one main graphics card which is an EVGA 1080ti FTW3. my motherboard has its own graphics card i think but this isn't enabled..i think.

I have two monitors one is for gaming, i'll disconnect that for now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get this? For some strange reason it's inverse alphabetical, so A is at the bottom:

profile.png

Yes, disconnect any other monitors. If you have on-board graphics, but no monitor connected to it, it's out of the equation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, i get this..Screenshot (8).pngScreenshot (9).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking on 'Browse' and then navigate to the Windows Color Profile folder at the below path. If it's not in there you'll need to add it...let us know!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing this but it's not there Todd. I wonder why its not there. I came across this folder when i deleted all the profiles that my monitor had created. I remember being careful not to delete anything other ...maybe i did delete the Adobe RGB one by accident but im sure i didnt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download it at the below link. place it into the same folder, select it, click on 'Set as 'Default Profile,' check 'Use my settings for this device,' click on 'Close,' close all applications, and restart your system.

Adobe RGB (1998) ICC profile

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thank you once again Todd. Ok, i have done that and now in Lightroom the image doesn't look any different between the library and develop modules. I can also send it to PS without an error message.

Should i delete all the profiles my monitor has created and try to calibrate again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, he can do that. But I suspect it's here:

path1.png

Unlike sRGB, Adobe RGB isn't hardwired into Windows. It's coming with the Adobe installer. These profiles should normally get copied from one folder to the other and be in both locations. Perhaps some glitch with the install happened here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then we know your monitor profile is broken.

Remind me again - this is BenQ Palettte Master? This software is buggy, you're not the only one. They need to sort this out.

In the meantime, I've advised people to use DisplayCAL to build the monitor profiles, set to profile only/no calibration (and still use Palette Master to calibrate).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 1
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you purchase a wide gamut monitor you enter into a deal: You can never again use applications that aren't color managed. Windows Photos isn't, so that's out. (Or at least not without dumbing the unit down to sRGB, but that's a monumental waste of money).

This is something the vendors really should inform their customers about. But that would probably hurt their sales...

And yes, replacing the monitor profile with sRGB is just for diagnostic purposes - but here, with a wide gamut unit, you'd use Adobe RGB, not sRGB.

Are you using the BenQ calibration software? It seems to be quite buggy and unreliable based on the posts we see here. Several people have had problems with it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew i wouldn't be able to use non colour managed programs, just didn't expect Lightroom to be an issue.

Strange that if i turn my graphics card use off in Lightroom it gets rid of this problem.

Yes, i'm using their own software, Palette Master Element. I read somewhere that V4 calibrations might be an issue with Lightroom so to calibrate in V2 instead..although i don't know what that means.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0