Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom changes my B&W pictures treatment into Color

New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have a problem with the treatment settings on my B&W images and I don't know if I have changed any settings accidentially. I am a new user of Lightroom and I dont know how to fix the issue I am facing.

I have a Nikon camera and my images can be imported in embedded preview. When I select a B&W image as shot from my mirrorless camera, the treatment is showed as Color. Although the image is displayed in B&W in LR in Library mode. When I then go to Develop mode, the B&W image changes into color However, when I export the image, it is exported in color. I would like the LR to auto-detect the image if in color or B&W. Is that possible? I want to export the images as they are in LR and not export all of them in color.

I dont know what happenned in my LR, but before when I had a B&W image as shot from my camera, the treatment section in the Library mode was empty and when I was going to the Develop mode, the tratment was showed as B&W. This is the case I want to have now.

Now when I select a B&W image, the treatment is showed as Color in both Library and Develop modes. Can someone please help me on how I can fix this issue? 

I have attached 4 images. The ones having red ticks are the ones with the settings I want to have (this is how they used to be). The ones having X show my current settings. which is not the case I want to have.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

From your context in your last post I wonder if you had previosly changed your default develop settings, such that a B7W profile was applied upon import. In the recent update Adobe changed all that.

see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-set-defaults-for-raw-file-import/td-p/10925693?page=1

and: https://lightroomkillertips.com/customizing-camera-raw-defaults-in-lightroom-classic/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't take the time to download your images. I prefer to look at images that are attached and shown in messages. To do that, it is necessary to use a computer and attach images using a browser. However, if you are referring to images that were set to black-and-white in the camera then that is a camera setting that isn't read by Lightroom. It will be necessary for you to convert those images to black-and-white using the tools in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JimHess,

Thanks for your reply. I have attached the images on the message as you requested. The thing is that it used to be ok and all my images shot as B&W had no treatment in Library and had the B&W treatment automatically in Develop mode. Now, in both Library and Develop modes the images shot as B&W have color treatments. 

Do you know why that happens?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

  

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your context in your last post I wonder if you had previosly changed your default develop settings, such that a B7W profile was applied upon import. In the recent update Adobe changed all that.

see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-set-defaults-for-raw-file-import/...

and: https://lightroomkillertips.com/customizing-camera-raw-defaults-in-lightroom-classic/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello David!

Thanks for your reply! 

This is what I wanted. Apparently, my Lightroom was updated and I didn't know about that update. I read the article and it was very helpful. I have a Nikon Z series and the master settings on the RAW files were set as Adobe default and not as camera settings. I changed that now and I have imported new B&W ages just to see if working and it worked. I really spend about 2 hours to understand why that happened and you solved my issue!

Thank you very much and much appreciated! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't know it was a Nikon Z. Would be nice to have the details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JimHEss,

I said Nikon Mirrorless camera on my first post and Nikon Z series is the only Mirrorless series from Nikon.

Thanks anyway JimHess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strictly speaking, the Z6 and Z7 are not the first Nikon mirrorless cameras, that would be the "Nikon 1" a.k.a Nikon POS.

Please be specific 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a guess on my part. But the black and white setting that you made in the camera is an in-camera setting that isn't honored or recognized by Lightroom. All Lightroom seems is the color image that was taken. If you change the image to black and white using the Lightroom controls then it will indicate as such. If I am wrong then someone else can set us both straight.

In other words, in my opinion, if you want a black and white image straight from the camera into Lightroom then you'll have to take it as a JPEG image and not as a raw image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines