• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 and Lightroom 6.0, Which One?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I now have 2 versions  of LR Classic on my computer. (v8.4.1 and v6.0)

Can anybody tell me the difference and recommend uses for each?

I bought the initial classic years ago and have been continually updating but now have two versions that Adobe updates simultaneously.

(not talking about Light Room's cloud based service)

many thanks for any insight.

PS. same goes for PS as now I have PS v20.0.6 and PS v16.0

{Thread title edited by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Lightroom Classic version 8.4.1 is the latest version of Lightroom Classic and is the successor to Lightroom version 6.0 with added features and performance improvements made the application over the past couple of years since Lightroom 6.0 was discontinued. You can check the link mentioned below for the latest features of Lightroom Classic.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

Similarly, Photoshop 20.0.6 is the latest version of Photoshop and the successor to Photoshop 16.0 with performance improvements, new features and the Camera Raw supported by the latest version has support for new cameras that the old version does not.

You can check the below mentioned link for more information on the new features of Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the quick and concise answer.

All cleared up for me and I will just archive the older version.

Bests

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 is no longer sold by Adobe, nor is it updated or supported by Adobe. It is obsolete and is quite behind the times. Lightroom Classic is the current successor to Lightroom 6, and is only available by subscription. If you are using Lightroom Classic then that catalog is probably an updated/upgraded version of the one that you previously used with Lightroom 6, and the older version is probably not being used for anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, as above many thanks for the quick and concise answer.

Bests

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 is the  old stand alone a.k.a. perpetual license program. It is not supported by Adobe any longer. The last and final version is 6.14 (6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 6.10, 6.11, 6.12, 6.13, 6.14 end of life)

Version 6.14, the update can still be downloaded from Adobe as an update for existing owners. This can be found at at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-previous-version-apps-download.html

Do not let the poor documentation at the Adobe site confuse you, it is not v6.0, the end result is 6.14

If you really want to continue with v6, then keep a copy of the download as Adobe will eventually remove it as they have for earlier versions.

Their will be absolutly no further updates, no further bug fixes, no fiurther camera support for v6.

Version 8.14 is the latest copy of the full desktop orientated Lightroom program, currently called Lightroon Classic. It is  the logical evolution of Lightroom v1 thru  v6, and v7 (First full subscription version)

Do not confuse Lightroom Classic with the program Adobe currently calls Lightroom, that is a cloud based program you run on your computer but save to and only to the cloud. Far less capable. 

When you open an existing catalog with a new version of Lightroom (classic) , well, a major update (4 to 5, 5 to 6, 6 to 7, but not so much 7 to 8 odd that one) a new updated catalog is created, and you cannot go backwards on that catalog. ( you can keep the old outdated catalog and use in the older version, but that just convoluted things)

So, why v8.4.1 over v6. Lots of additional features, improvements, and additional cameras supported.

So why keep v6? Only if you decide one day to stop paying the subscription, and need to revert back to v6, provided your current camera is supported, and you are acceptable to using older catalogs or remaking catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David, very detailed answer.

thank you.

Bests

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines