Lightroom Classic keeps hanging causing computer restarts since installing 10.1

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very new to Creative Cloud Lightroom and Photoshop. Both programs worked as expected.  Since updating to the new 10.1 Lightroom my iMac keeps freezing with that darn beach ball going round and round and ... Consequently I have to shut down the computer and restart. I am running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6. I welcome suggestions on how to fix my issue so I can use Lightroom again.  My thanks in advance.

Disabling the GPU is not a satisfactory fix.

I suggest downgrading to LRC 10.0 until Adobe releases a fix for this problem. The Creative Cloud app makes this pretty easy.  Select "All Apps" in the left column. Go to the Lightroom Classic row and click on the 3 dots. Select "Other versions". Click "Install" next to "Lightroom Classic (10.0)". You may also want to temporarily disable notifications for new versions, since it will nag you about upgrading to 10.1 otherwise.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic keeps hanging causing computer restarts since installing 10.1

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very new to Creative Cloud Lightroom and Photoshop. Both programs worked as expected.  Since updating to the new 10.1 Lightroom my iMac keeps freezing with that darn beach ball going round and round and ... Consequently I have to shut down the computer and restart. I am running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6. I welcome suggestions on how to fix my issue so I can use Lightroom again.  My thanks in advance.

I suggest downgrading to LRC 10.0 until Adobe releases a fix for this problem. The Creative Cloud app makes this pretty easy.  Select "All Apps" in the left column. Go to the Lightroom Classic row and click on the 3 dots. Select "Other versions". Click "Install" next to "Lightroom Classic (10.0)". You may also want to temporarily disable notifications for new versions, since it will nag you about upgrading to 10.1 otherwise.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 20, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, I have the same problem since the update, just tried Adobe Cleaner but the same - when I want to develop a file (RAW but even JPG) the whole system freezes. maybe the graphic card ???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off GPU in Lightroom preferences an see it it helps. Reboot Lightroom when you have turned it off. There are some known issues with earlier Macs like 2015 models.

A858A87A-085D-4E73-8CC9-7F4958D4D925.jpeg

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.1, LrC 10.1 (>10.0), Lr 4.1, Ps 22.1, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - problem solved for now downgrading the software

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - now I can work again with the software - Incredible that Adobe is releasing such an Update . greetings to you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Advocate ,
Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happend to a friend of mine on an older iMac. LrC V 10.0 was fine, but he got this problem when he updated to V 10.1 against my advice. Once he rolled it back to V 10.0, all is well.

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 21, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so very, very much for responding to my query. Since following the advice given to uninstall 10.1 Lightroom Classic (and thnkfully the method on how to do it), and reinstall Lightroom Classic 10, all is good again. I had thought my raw files all corrupted, and thankfully they are not. Once again, my sincere and grateful thanks to everyone who responded. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0