• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR automatically crops my photos during import!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I set this so it doesn't?  This is fustrating! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

There's another possibility: some cameras allow you to crop to non-native aspect ratios, and if you're shooting raw files, LR will respect those ratios and crop your images to match. That's how it works on my Olympus and Fuji cameras. If that's the case, the simple solution would be to set your camera back to whatever the native aspect ratio is.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ShredRocket,

This is a strange phenomenon - first we should establish what exactly it consists of.

(1) It might be a viewing problem: when you are in the import dialog, you might see the thumbnails with two black border stripes - which indicates that you see the jpgs embedded in raw files. When LR will have finished import, and have created its own previews, these might look slightly different, but certainly not really cropped.

(2) You might have inadvertently set wrong default develop settings for your camera (which do contain a crop).

(3) Or you might apply a crop as Develop Settings in your import dialog. Let's check this first: on the right hand panel in your import dialog, section "Apply During Import", make sure you select "None" in the field Develop Settings.

If the phenomen should still occur, I suspect (2). Go in the develop module and choose the crop tool for one such image. Can you set "Reset"? If yes, undo and leave the crop mode. Go to the menu "Develop - Set Default Settings". Then choose "Restore Adobe Default Settings".

"Update to current settings" might be what caused your phenomen, if you have chosen that previously on a cropped image.

You can still rectify away from adobe default, but be sure to do so in controlled mode... e.g. I have a camera for which I always choose the calibration profile "Camera Standard" rather than "Adobe standard", I do apply Clarity of +10 and Vibration of +25, enable Profile corrections and Remove Chromatic Aberration in Lens Corrections.

Once you have set the develop default settings back, go into Library module, select the inadvertently cropped images and use the Quick Develop Panel on the upper right hand to "Reset All", to apply these develop defaults to all selected images. This should un-apply all crops.

Good luck, Cornelia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another possibility: some cameras allow you to crop to non-native aspect ratios, and if you're shooting raw files, LR will respect those ratios and crop your images to match. That's how it works on my Olympus and Fuji cameras. If that's the case, the simple solution would be to set your camera back to whatever the native aspect ratio is.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was the solution for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank both Cornelia and Hal for the responses and the information with regards to my dilemma!  Thank you both!!!

First, I decided to take Hal’s suggestion as this may be the root cause of my issue. I read through the owner’s manual to set the defaults for the image size.  Unfortunately the defaults are not called out explicitly.  However, the settings on the camera were on 16:9, so I set it to 3:2.  The 3:2 setting is typically default on my other cameras.  I then took a few pics using this setting then importing to LR. This took care of the auto crop during import!!

Secondly, I followed Cornella’s suggestions to see if LR setting was at default.  Fortunately, the settings were already at default.  I proceeded to follow the other steps Cornella has provided to reset all of the photos back to uncropped defaults.  All is well now!

Again thank you both!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines