Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Lightroom Catalogs trying to sync on different computers

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Ok, so I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Question 1: I have LRCC and LR Classic on my desktop. My main desktop is a imac. I just bought a windows surface laptop. Which version of LR should Install or should I install both? I'm assuming both so I can import to LRCC for the cloud service? I can't do this with Classic? I thought you can do that some way. 

2: I did go ahead and install Classic since it is a laptop and not really a mobile device, like ipad. But, it is trying to syc different catalogs. I have a IRCAT and a IRCAT-2 Can I just have sync one and get rid of the other one? Also, will these cataglogs fill up the space on my PC? I only have a 256HD. the catalog is taking up 75BG of space. I thought it's just giving me whats on the cloud. I only need my backups on my main desktop with a TB of storage. I'm not sure how this all works. It's very confusing.  

I think thats it for now. I appreciate any help I can get. I understand these  answers are probably here. I have searched and read alot. I'm just seeing lots of different things. Probably makes it harder using both windows and Mac.  

Thanks,

Tommy

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Lightroom Classic can only sync images from 1 catalog to the cloud, you have to create collections of images, then those collections sync to the cloud and not the whole catalog.

Lightroom syncs every image imported into it. Also, it syncs original images instead of image previews like Lightroom Classic does.

If you try to sync images from a different Lightroom Classic catalog, then you should see an error about Lightroom deleting the already synced images from the cloud and syncing new images from the new catalog.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Can I just delete the older catalog then? I only need one. The other catalog are the same photos. So this is just a classic thing with the Catalog. LRCC has no catalog, jut what I import to it to the cloud. I just want one catalog with my subfolders in it. I've been using original LR for many years, I just got the CLoud version last year I think. Not even sure where the second catalog came from. I did not make it myself. 

That's why I'm confused. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand the confusion that may arrise due to multiple versions, you may delete the unused/unwanted catalog if it has the same images in it.

The collection of images that you make in Lightroom Classic gets synced to the cloud and they appear in Lightroom (Cloud version) as Albums. You can also access those images by going here: https://lightroom.adobe.com/libraries

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil, 

do you have any resource/guide link that explain how to sync the catalog from my coumputer to the Adobe cloud or Lightroom cloud space?

I'm looking for that but I haven't find it yet.

Many thanks,

Edodalne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but I haven't find it yet."

And you won't!

I would like to make a few statements as I understand the Lr 'ecosystem'- (and I have a lot to learn.!!!!)

*Lightroom-Classic does not 'SYNC' full-size images OR catalogs, up to the Adobe Cloud.

- Lr-Classic can only 'SEND' Smart Previews from Collections which can be edited remotely on 'Mobile' devices and the edits appear back in Lr-Classic.

- Lr-Classic can though 'RECEIVE' full-size files that are Imported into a Mobile device using Lr-Mobile. They will Sync down to one (and one only)  Lr-Classic Catalog that is set to 'Sync'.

- The Smart Previews in Collections 'sent' to the Cloud do not occupy any space in your Cloud allocation.

- The files Imported to a Lr-mobile device Do occupy your Cloud space.

*Lightroom-Classic cannot send Smart Previews to the Cloud from more that ONE Catalog.

- So you cannot use the same Catalog on both a PC and a Mac and have them 'Sync'.

- You cannot Sync a Lr-Classic Catalog from one computer to another.

- You cannot have Collections from more than ONE Lr-Classic Catalog appear in Lr-Mobile.

My system is-

1) Desktop PC: Lightroom-Classic, One Catalog set to 'Sync' Collections. Many Collections marked to 'Sync' (as Smart Previews).

2) Laptop PC: Lightroom, All the Collections fro 1) appear as Albums. Edits appear in 1). Imported photos sync down to 1).

3) Laptop PC: Lightroom-Classic, NOT synced with anything! An independent Catalog for workshop use only.

4) iPhone: Lightroom-Mobile, All the Lr-Classic Collections appear as Albums. Edits appear in 1). Lr-photos sync down to folders in 1).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really thanks!

I'm learning, only new, the Lr ecosystem and at the beginning I understood that I would be able to have all my photos shared in cloud with full resolution and share/use it as I want but I need to change the mindset and mange it only to have in cloud a copy that I can use for example to share to others or to access by phone. To be honest I'm shooting with full frame camera not to see my picture on mobile phone... or post on instagram, so the cloud option in this case for me is useful for other scope.

thanks,

Ed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines