• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Lightroom Errors

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I upgraded from a 2015 MacBook Pro to a 2018 model. I installed a Time Machine backup of the old machine onto the new machine. Yesterday (9/24/18) I updated to macOS Mojave (version 10.14).

I use Lightroom Classic CC (version 7.5) and have recently started using the mobile app to upload photos from my iPhone. I use an external hard drive to store the original versions of the photos. I keep the LR catalog on my laptop's hard drive (as I read that's faster than using it from the external drive).

Today I opened Lightroom from the Adobe Creative Cloud app on my laptop. I began scrolling through a folder of photos, the first I uploaded from the mobile app, and started getting black circles with exclamation points in the upper right corner.

The error says "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo."

This issue so far appears limited to one folder with 823 photos. It's not happening when I spot checking other folders.

Screenshot 2018-09-25 12.56.27.png

Some of the photos in this folder don't show the black exclamation mark, but when I try to develop them, I get a "File access was denied" error.

I also tried to delete (from disk) a photo in this folder and got the message "The file named “IMG_E7413.JPG” could not be moved to the Trash folder." Despite not being able to delete it, I still appear able to edit it. I'm so confused.

Would appreciate any help or insights on what might've caused the problem and how to fix it. Thanks!

Dave

Message was edited by: David Lee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi Dave,

Sorry that you're having multiple issues with Lightroom Classic CC 7.5.

As you've mentioned that you've installed a Time machine backup from a different computer on your new machine. So that might be causing the issue as system backups do not backup all the app settings sometimes. Here's a great article on how to migrate Lightroom to new computer: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

I'd recommend that you only open the Lightroom catalog from the older comput

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Sorry that you're having multiple issues with Lightroom Classic CC 7.5.

As you've mentioned that you've installed a Time machine backup from a different computer on your new machine. So that might be causing the issue as system backups do not backup all the app settings sometimes. Here's a great article on how to migrate Lightroom to new computer: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

I'd recommend that you only open the Lightroom catalog from the older computer and reinstall Lightroom from the Creative Cloud desktop app to ensure all app components are installed correctly.

Once you open the older Lightroom catalog, Lightroom will ask you to reconnect the missing files in the catalog. Refer this article to re-link the missing files: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders  . Let the app sync all the images and check if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thankfully still have my old 2015 MacBook which is still running macOS High Sierra. I connected the external hard drive and opened the LR catalog from the laptop hard drive and can confirm I can access the photos I've been having trouble with, edit them, and delete them.

I will now try deleting the LR app from new laptop and reinstalling. I will provide an update on how that goes.

Before you provided this response Akash, I messaged Adobe support and they had access to my laptop remotely. The person said the problem was my external hard drive was formatted "case sensitive" and it needs to be "MacJournal." He suggested if I got a new external drive (my idea) then I can contact manufacturer for help reformatting it. I'm going to try your suggestion first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Dave. Let us know how the migration goes. Also,as the support team suggested, check for the case sensitive formatting on external drive as that might be causing the issue.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled Lightroom Classic CC on my new laptop. I didn't receive any messages regarding re-connecting files when I opened the catalog again. The same problems exist with the same photos. I read through the installing Lightroom on a new computer tutorial but didn't really see anything new or that I hadn't already done.

If it wasn't clear earlier, the Adobe person confirmed that my external hard drive has case sensitive formatting. What's odd to me is this wasn't a problem previously. Is it possible that the new MacBook and Mojave OS are causing the issue, an issue that's only affecting a handful of the 82,000 photos I have in Lightroom?

I guess my next step will be to buy a new hard drive....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that the new MacBook and Mojave OS are causing the issue, an issue that's only affecting a handful of the 82,000 photos I have in Lightroom?

It might not be linked to the Os update or your new computer. Images present on certain bad sectors of your hardrive might not be accessible from within Lightroom. I'd suggest to try replicating the issue with a different external drive.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Belated response... I bought a new external hard drive for Macs and it resolved the problem. Apparently my old hard drive wasn't the correct format, so while it wasn't an issue with the old laptop, it became an issue with the new one. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines