• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon Z7 Raw

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC can not open Nikon Z7 RAW files.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

A new update is being rolled-out today. Go to the Apps tab in Creative Cloud desktop to install or click the three dots (top-right) to check for updates.

https://99jon.blogspot.com/2018/10/lightroom-classic-cc-october-update.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

I have some files from a production version and the xmp is still there. The

presence of the xmp doesn’t help the files be supported by Lightroom.

What software version is showing in LR EXIF data? Clearly users replying here with production retail cameras can't open their Z 7 NEFs in LR 7.5. So something is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Z7 files never imported in LR 7 for me! Not even files from the

preproduction version. They only import in the unmentionable version.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 6:30 AM Todd Shaner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve had mine since 10-1, move on already. The fact that we pay adobe to provide us with our software I think we can expect some responsibility to get us the latest updates to new cameras close to their release dates. They have made record profits two years in a row, so they need to stepup to the plate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that we pay adobe to provide us with our software I think we can expect some responsibility to get us the latest updates to new cameras close to their release dates.

Adobe wants all product feedback provided in the official Adobe feedback forum:

Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Which forum should I post to? (Feedback vs Forums)

They read everything posted there and infrequently reply. But product developers are rarely seen in this forum, and your feedback here won't be read by them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe releases software updates about every 2 months so there's enough time to get new features and cameras tested to some degree.  Cameras from various manufacturers are released at various points during that period.  The perceived time it takes to get a new camera supported depends on the relative time between the camera being released/purchased and an Adobe scheduled software update.  If you wanted day-one support for a new camera purchase, wait to purchase it, until it is supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, we'd all like to have finished software the day the camera was released, but I don't think that is reasonable. We're asking Adobe to respond to software from another company, figure it out, and then write its own software to process it. Not trivial.

I don't really want to defend Adobe (I don't like how it is handling the Classic-CC transition etc) but reviewers were using pre-production models with not-final firmware as recently as a couple of weeks ago. Nikon has software that reads Z7 RAW and converts to TIFFs or one can use .JPGs -- or as ssprengel wrote, simply wait a few weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the US ( NY) and I received mine from Unique Photo, also in the US (NJ) this previous Monday October 1, 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And mine was the Z7 bundled with the 24-70.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I got confirmation that you can indeed get body + 24-70 from several

places but the FTZ adapter or any bundle with that in it is gone everywhere

I checked. Nikon clearly underestimated the demand for the adapters and

adapter kits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the Z7 is in the stores now, here in Norway. I can go and buy one off the shelf today. Release date was September 27.

That said, Lightroom support from day one would only have been possible if Nikon supported the open DNG file format. But they don't, instead treating their NEF formats as proprietary. The Camera Raw engineers have to actually buy a camera and then reverse-engineer the files to provide support, create camera profiles and so on.

So blame Nikon for the wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have one, picked up from my camera shop on 9/27, so this is a really stupid argument.  Let's return to the question of RAW support for the camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have one, picked up from my camera shop on 9/27

Which country and city?  (The Adobe camera raw team is in the US.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dallas TX, USA.  I am not the only one.  Orders from the big online sellers will arrive Monday or Tuesday.  Adobe could do us all a favor by just saying "We are working on it and expect to have an update available on ??/??/????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe could do us all a favor by just saying "We are working on it and expect to have an update available on ??/??/????

Adobe almost never announces ahead of time when the next release of LR is coming out or what will be in it. They follow a very conservative interpretation of what is prudent for public software companies to say ahead of release under SEC regulations and guidance. This has been their practice from the beginning and I think it's very unlikely to change. I'm not justifying Adobe's behavior, just explaining it. Other public software companies are somewhat more liberal in their communications.

So we can only make fairly reliable predictions based on past Adobe's behavior, which I've already posted in this thread.

If you want to provide feedback to Adobe about their communication policies, the best place to do that is in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Adobe product developers read everything there (and infrequently respond). They rarely participate in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Competitive Cameras? I got an EOS R from them yesterday, too bad no Lightroom support neither...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

San Dieg, CA........got mine on 9/28

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and so far only Nikon Capture NX-d and ACDSee 2019 open all variants of the Raw files.

Normally I use photoshop 6 and ACR 9.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG converter 11 has been released with support for the camera. You could at least convert to DNG and go that route until Lightroom is updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

DNG converter 11 has been released with support for the camera.

That was fast. The Lightroom/ACR team has probably never had such massive pressure since the release of the D800/D800E in 2012. Back then they went so far as to release backwards support for Lightroom 3/Photoshop CS5 users, in addition to new Lightroom 4/CS6 support. Never happened before or after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried the DNG to light room scenario ? Is there likely any disadvantage to this?  I know this is Adobe for him but :  would conversion to DNG work to then open in capture one ? I use both software .

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I terminated my Capture One subscription about a year ago after concluding it was no better than Lightroom in any way that mattered.

Their policy towards DNG was a decisive factor. They do support it, but only generically in the sense that the files can be opened and processed. But they don't provide camera-specific profiles, and you will get better results with native raw files.

Their justification for this was hard to swallow, and boiled down to this "magic" ingredient that seems to be their main selling point. Nothing specific, only the C1 "magic". I'm not falling for that, and neither could I see anything that remotely qualified to that term. In the end all I was left with was a horribly bad UI design and nothing much else.

There is no inherent difference between DNG and native files. In both cases it's a straight data dump from the camera sensor, nothing less, nothing more. Only the container is different. In Lightroom, DNG and native get equal treatment - they do, after all, contain identical data, so there's no earthly reason to do otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ccclapp  wrote

Has anyone tried the DNG to light room scenario ? Is there likely any disadvantage to this?  I know this is Adobe for him but :  would conversion to DNG work to then open in capture one ? I use both software .

Thanks

What program, converter, would you use to make the native NEF files DNG files. The Adobe one won't work because as of right now ACR does NOT support this camera. For the Adobe converter to work ACR has to support the camera model.

Other than that when converting to DNG nothing is lost from the native RAW file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just shoot me, you probably know this if you use the just released dng converter 11, you will get dng files that the current ACR version will read and process just fine. Only thing is that you will not get camera specific profiles just the standard Adobe set although it might be that the converter will install those anyway. Also the dng converter release probably means the Lightroom and camera raw updates are just around the corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the dng converter release probably means the Lightroom and camera raw updates are just around the corner.

LR releases on average every 8 weeks, which places the expected date on 10/17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had no idea that the DNG converter 11 was out. Usually it comes out at the same time LR and ACR are updated, not before.

Thanks, personally don't need it. But this should help people with newer cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines