• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One CC account; more than one computer; different Lightroom libraries

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What will happen if trying to use Lightroom from more than one computer under the same CC account?  I know I can only run one at a time so that is not a problem; the question is related to file synching.  Each computer has its own library and catalog with no duplications between the two.

I'm concerned that if I start CC on the second computer, the Adobe cloud will see that computers synch folder (currently empty) and will then synch with it and remove the 0.5 terabytes of files I have synched with my primary computer.

Ideally the cloud would recognize that it is a different system and store them in the cloud with metadata or something that would keep them logically separated from my primary cloud files while still consuming the 1TB of space I have purchased.

Sorry if the question kind of rambles, I am finding it hard to write out the scenario.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you asking about LR CLASSIC, the Traditional version of LR, or the Newer Cloud Centric version of Lightroom?

I have no idea what exactly would happen if you try running either/both versions on TWO different computers at the same time. I do know that that is against the EULA and "I" try not to do that although I do have it open on both of my computers at the same time every now and then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving from Get Started to LR Classic forum.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can run Lightroom Classic on two computers with their own catalogs just fine. You just cannot sync both catalogs. As soon as you try to sync the second catalog, this will terminate the sync of the first one. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That is what I expected.

With regards to the synch folder "Creative Cloud Files", if I have files in that folder from computer 1 and nothing in the synch folder of computer 2, how will the cloud storage react to that?  If it sees one folder is empty, will it remove the cloud documents essentially thinking that they had been deleted from the host computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Creative Cloud Files' folder is something different. It is a Dropbox-like folder, so the content is synced to the cloud and then to the other computer. The syncing always looks at the newest situation, so if you add a file to one folder it will be synced to the other folder, and if you remove an exisiting file it will be removed from the other folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping that would not be the case.  I have half a terabyte on my main system and wanted to have all of it in teh 'Creative Cloud Files' folder.  On my secondary system, there is not enough space to hold all of that.  Essentially, I wanted my primary to synch it 'Creative Cloud Files' folder to the cloud and my secondary system would synch its folder.  The two streams never need to cross really and could remain separate.  If I go and turn on my second system, it sounds like it will start downloading the 500GB of files in the cloud that were placed there by the primary system.  And if I had a 100GB in the secondary system, it would upload all of that to the cloud and then my primary system would download all of it.  This would continue until both systems and the cloud all matched.

If that is how it all works, then using more than one computer is not really an option for me and, most likely, many others.  I could disable synching on the secondary computer but that means its files would not be backed up to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use Lightroom Classic, then the files are never 'backed up to the cloud' when you sync the catalog. Lightroom Classic syncs smart previews, not originals.

Consider using Dropbox. Dropbox offers selected sync, so you can back up originals to Dropbox from one computer, without having to sync that folder on the other computer as well.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines