Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pictures stored on Lightroom cc and classic taking up double memory

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm having issues with my lightroom. I prefer to use CC for organising my pictures and generic editing, as I prefer the interface and organisational side of it. However, for somewhat more advanced editing, I like to use Lightroom Classic. So I'd like to keep 90% of my pictures on CC only, and only have those pictures which require more advanced editing on my Lightroom Classic. However, after trying to do this, I have now managed to sync all my pictures from CC to classic, and this is now taking up lots of memory on my macbook, which has limited amount of memory. 

Can someone help me here? I'd like to remove all the pictures from Classic, but I am worried that in doing so, I will somehow remove all pictures from CC. 

Secondly, can someone help me so that I only sync certain files to Classic. 

Lastly, if anyone has any other suggestions for how they should use cc and classic together, that would also be appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

John 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. Everything that is in the cloud HAS to be in Classic if you sync with Classic. Classic is designed to work only with local files and the local catalog is the master catalog. If you delete synced files from Classic that are synced to the cloud, they will get deleted from the cloud too. 

The only way to efectively use both Classic and Cloudy Lightroom is to use Classic as your main catalog and only sync a few images to the cloud that you want to edit on a mobile device or another computer. The other way around with the cloud library being your main catalog and Classic as a smaller cousing will not work due to how Classic is designed to sync. If you run out of space on your machine the simplest thing to do is to just offload older images to an external hard drive. So if you want to edit them, you can just connect to the external and they will be available in Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, 

Thank you very much for your reply. Before the files started syncing to Classic, i had plenty of memory left on my harddrive. However, since they started syncing, the space on my HD is decreasing, leading me to believe that the pictures are now stored twice on my HD. I'm happy to make the switch to Classic being my primary software, but I can't afford to have the pictures stored twice. Any suggestions on how to rectify the situation? Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First to make sure. Lightroom CC no longer exists. It is now just called Lightroom or Lightroom Desktop. To distinguish it from Classic which used to be called Lightroom and also was called Lightroom CC at some point in time, I use the terms Lightroom Classic (or simply Classic) for the traditional non-cloud Lightroom version and Lightroom Cloudy for the cloud version. Lightroom Cloudy has a setting that allows you to set how much hard disk space it will use. The trick is to set it to a low percentage. In this setting, Lightroom Cloudy will automatically delete local copies from your harddisk if you haven't used them in a while. It will then automatically redownload copies from the cloud if you need them. You can't do this with Clasic. It always needs local copies to edit and cannot on demand download from the cloud. So bottom line is to set Lightroom Cloudy to only use a small fraction of your harddisk if you want to use both and you should not get double storage of everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines