Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAM usage for Lightroom never over 18 Go and heavy use of hard disk

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I made a trip where I shot a lot of pictures to be made into panoramas. I upgraded my computer for 32Go RAM, a Ryzen 3700X and a good NVME drive, but Lightroom seems to only use up to 18Go and then start to use my main drive even if the pictures and the catalog are on the NVME one.

I know that shuting off and starting again lightroom empties the RAM but it still never get over 18 Go. How to make it use all the RAM available ?

Moreover, how to make lightroom use my NVME drive (where my catalog and pictures are) when he falsy run out of RAM for creating panorama instead of my main hard drive ?

For your information, coming from a i5-6500 to a Ryzen 3700x, it's so much more pleasing working on lightroom, especially when you zoom in and out a lot of your pictures. Much less rendering time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, Lightroom doesn't need more than 18 GB of RAM to do this task, so it doesn't try to take more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, exactly what resources are used in a Pano merge is unclear. If someone has a link, share it.

But, as  The Pano merge is a develop module operation, then the Camera RAW CACHE is involved, this is a hard drive resource. Camera RAW CACHE is set via preferences, file handling, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Try to avoid placing Camera RAW CACHE on the same drive as your Windows Paging file. Try to place on your fastest drive. If you relocate the Camera RAW CACHE, purge it first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for the answer, I only got now an email alert from adobe for your responses.

@dj_paige : it's using the hard-drive as if it runs out of ram memory. This normal when you really have not enough ram which isn't my case. I'm merging like 15 raw pictures from a 24Mpix sensor, I think it does need a lot of room to work with.

@Davidg36166309 : It's already on the right drive with 20 Go free for it but still, it's using my main system drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

15 raw images at 24MP each? Why that's 360MP needed for the images. So Lightroom Classic needs to hold all the images, and the temporary calculations and the Lightroom software. So I will stick with my statement that it doesn't need more than 18GB, so it doesn't use more than 18GB.

You are speculating that the disk access is because it doesn't have enough memory. How do you know this is the reason? How do you know it isn't accessing the disk because it needs to access the disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines