Exit

Reconnect XMPs in Subfolders

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

i’m trying to reconnect thousands of XMPs that are located in a single folder

to my thousands of pictures that are organised in a lot of subfolders.

The photographer did some grading and sent me only the XMPs in a single folder.

I got the Raws on my computer and in Lightroom.

Hope this is clear enough.

Anyone with with a special trick?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are talking about Lightroom Classic. Are you?

If the .xmp files are put into the exact same folder as the original photo (you would use your operating system to move or copy the .xmp files), then you can reconnect via the Lightroom Classic command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

However, it seems as if the problem you have is that the xmps are in one folder and the photo files are somewhere in a lot of subfolders, and I'm not aware of an automated or bulk way to move the .xmp files into the proper folders, you'd have to do that one-by-one, or if you are fortunate you might be able to move several at once into the proper folder. You could probably use your operating system's search feature to find out what folder the original photo files are in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i'm on Lightroom Classic.

Exactly, the xmps are in one folder and the photo files are somewhere in a lot of subfolders

I'm trying to avoid to have to do them one by one for hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I can think of is to move all of your images into the same folder that has the XMPs. I am not sure if this would work but give each image in a given folder the name in keywords of that folder so you can move things around later (if you want/need to).

HOWEVER all file movement must be done within Lightroom, not in Finder/Explorer. Do NOT move the files outside of LR or you will have even more things to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines