• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop creating virtual copies automatically when editing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edit an image in Lightroom Classic on a PC, it  LR creates a virtual copy for each action.  This is something new.  I don't need or want virtual copies of all my images...sometimes I just want to zoom in and check something, but then I end up with 2 of the same print.  I haven't had this problem in the past, so don't know if this was a change occurred because of an update, or did I accidently "turn" on something.  Can't seem to find any information on this issue...I know and have known how to create a virtual copy when I want one, but just don't want to take up more room on my hard drive nor take the time to delete this copy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtual copies aren't going to take up more room on your hard drive because they are virtual copies. They only exist in the catalog. Is there any possibility you have enabled soft previews, and that is what is creating all the virtual copies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help...I found the answer on a similar question when I
looked through the list of questions that popped up when I submitted mine.
Yes, I had accidentally hit the "soft proof" button. And of course,
somewhere along the line I had shut the warning about creating soft proofs
off, so didn't even recall that feature.
I didn't know that virtual copies don't take up more room on the hard drive.
Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the virtual copy thumbnail/cell have an indicator to show it as a virtual copy? Bottom left corner, looks like photo being pulled back

see images in: https://digital-photography-school.com/5-ways-to-use-lightroom-virtual-copies-better/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...

Thanks for your help...I found the answer on a similar question when I looked through the list of questions that popped up when I submitted mine.
I had accidentally hit the "soft proof" button.  And of course, somewhere along the line I had shut the warning about creating soft proofs off, so didn't even recall that feature.
I didn't know that virtual copies don't take up more room on the hard drive.
Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, if you select a soft proof AND apply an edit, you'll get a nice Proof Copy (virtual copy) for those output specific edits. Its a great feature which again, takes no space, holds just these output specific edits and honors the rendering intent selected (which plays a role in what you see) when you move into the Print module. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am glad to know that the Virtual copies don't take any more space, but
still am glad not to have the extra photos. I figured out that I had
turned on soft proof and also shut off the warning that I was using soft
proof, so didn't even think about that feature.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines