• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden Constant Crashing For Long-Term User - next steps advice please :)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I have used LR for many years, usually on a daily basis. Some professional work, but also a lot for just personal use.  I maintain it well, have it set to remind me about optimise/back-up every shut down, which I do probably once a week or so. 

A couple of days ago it suddenly crashed on me. Initially I just tried basic shutting down and restarting etc. When it continued to crash every use I then went to next steps. I turned the GPU use in Lightroom from auto to off. I deleted the preferences file (I have backups).  It still crashed every time. I suspectected it could be a sync issue as some of the extra long photos on my phone were in my online account but hadn't come to my computer. Therefore I deleted all photos in my online account so there was nothing to sync. It didn't seem to work immediately and I found three old partially synced photos, which I deleted, and then it was showing up correctly as up to date, nothing uploading/downloading.  However, it still crashed everytime. I tried rolling back to 9.3 and re-deleting preferences. Still crashing. I tried completely uninstalling, and then manually deleting everything in Local/Roaming.  The only things I didn't delete were the catalogue itself and the Lightroom Settings Folder (which I have stored with catalogue) with all my presets in and other thingsi n the Pictures/Lightroom folder. I then reinstalled 9.4.  Still crashing.  I have tried leaving sync on pause, in case it was that, but that makes no difference. I have tried closing antivirus etc.

I thought I'd check with a second catalogue I have. This seems to work without crashing (I was surprised as I had thought it was the system).  This leaves me thinking that there must be either an issue with my main catalogue, something within it (such as corrupted images) or it is a sync issue not resolved by having nothing to sync (as my second catalogue isn't set up to sync).  However, I have never had an error message when optimising the catalogue.

By 'crash' I mean that when I start LR it initially says 'not responding' at the top for a moment, but then settles and appears normal. At this point I can do editing/keywording/change modules as normal. However after a few minutes - whether I'm doing something or have just left it untouched - and whichever module it's in - I get an Adobe crash message asking me to send in a crash report. I have sent in a few, but not every time whilst figuring it out (it's been at least 50 times so far). The only other thing I have noticed is that in Windows Task Manager it described Lightroom's status as 'suspended'.  I don't know if this is normal - I've not seen it before, but I don't normally have task manager opened!

I would appreciate any advice whatsoever. Specs are below. I've not recently done anything unusual in LR - this last week I have been tagging, deleting and a bit of editing.  Nothing unusual on my computer, and everything else is working fine. I did notice there was a Nvidia GEForce experience update a week ago - but it continued to work fine for several days after this (and I've switched off GPU).

• If this is a corrupted catalogue, how can I identify that? I have a backup from a few days ago that if necessary I could use - but how can I identify if that one could be corrupted or if I need to go to an older one?  Going to a backup is a last resort as I've worked in multiple folders every week and am not sure how I'd sort this (but still better than losing the last 10 years work). (*** edit ** since writing this post I tried again and got the message that Lightroom encountered an error when reading a catalog file - on restart this tried to repair it but couldn't - I don't know why this message didn't come up before now - possibly the constant restarting made it worse? - I guess this does mean the issue is the catalogue though then****)
  • Could this be other corrupted files (Photos? previews? helper database?) - how could I identify/fix?  Could there be something I've deleted in Settings by accident?
  • Are there any other sync issues I could look into?
  • Are there any crash logs I can access or other diagnostic tool? 
  • I have to manually delete the .lock file each time. Am I also supposed to deleted the -wal file? I have done this sometimes but not others (I have kept the original -wal file on my desktop in case it's important)
  • Is there a help address for Adobe (outside of the crash reports I've sent in).

Thank you for your time and any help at all. Much appreciated.

Specs:

LR Classic CC 9.4

Main Catalogue c36,000 images.

Windows 10 Home (10.0.18363)

Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4gb

16GB RAM

i7-7700HQ

McAfee Total Protection

MalwareBytes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will help, or provide more info about the issue but what if you select ONE image, and use the Export as Catalog command. Now try working with this new catalog, maybe importing from current location (or Sync Folder) some then all images: Still crashing as described? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

thanks so much for reading through and replying.

Since I wrote the post I tried again - going from my second (working) catalogue and re-launching into my main one. For the first time it came up with an error message - it said it had encountered an error with the catalog file.  I relaunched and it attempted a repair, which failed. I can now no longer get into it and have those few minutes of working time to do as you suggest.  I don't know why this error message didn't come up previously, and wonder if the constant restarting could have exacerbated the issue. (I have edited the original post to add this in).

I am wondering if there is someone I could send the catalogue to, to see if there is any hope. I can see this is possible on another forum, but I'm not sure if that is possible with anyone here, as I realise everyone is kindly giving up their time.  

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This being a user to user forum, sending anyone here a catalog wouldn't do much. 

But Adobe people DO access the other forum below, you might start a thread there and request having someone at Adobe internally look at the catalog:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Of course, make the thread in the LR part of this forum. Good luck. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. That's what I thought. I'll investigate either the forum you link to or the one I found to see if anyone is able to look at it.

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines