• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethered shooting in LR5

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethered shooting in LR5 repeatedly disconnects. The camera (Canon 5D connected to MacBook Pro) does not stay connected and it requires restarting tethering. This happens about every ten minutes and while it starts back up this is a serious problem. Did not have this difficulty with LR4.
I have changed USB cables, deleted sthe preferences, changed ports and have the MBP plugged to power.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 29, 2013 Nov 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, reinstall 4.

It will work just fine on the same machine as LR 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but my catalogs have all been converted to 5. I suppose I could run new lr4 catalogs for this alone, but having several format catalogs and converting betwen apps and caatalog formats also seems like a recipe for errors. Plus, I use the lens auto correction function upon import, and that is missing in 4.

In a pro workflow, I find that any changes are dangerous, at least when ,ade without thorough live testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although my last LR 5.2 Tether job went just fine (few restarts of tethering - no hard restarts) (5dMKII), I always have a Snow Leopard laptop with LR 4.4.1 ready to go JIC.

Auto Lens Correction... If you disable that does your tethering become more robust? I suspect it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2013 Nov 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 5 months since I jumped in to this thread regarding serious problems with Tethered shooting in LR5. I fully understand that initial releases of new versions can present bugs. I've been hopefully waiting for point upgrades in LR5 to eliminate the Tether errors and had also hoped that a Mavericks upgrade  might help. Unfortunately the disconnect problems still remain. LR4 had no such problems.

LR5 Beta has been available since 4/15 and LR5.0 was released on 6/9. I think it's reasonable to expect bugs of this nature to be fixed in a 7 month period of time. As a serious and long time Adobe user it's very disheartening to see an apparent abandonment of professional standards.

Earlier this week I had a two day, high volume, production shoot with models where we were churning through 80 shots a day. Their was literally no time for errors. LR5 Tethering had multiple disconnects, sometimes resulting in a restart of the program. My patience was exhausted and I finally had enough. The night of the first day I downloaded Capture One 7.1.5 and used it for the entirety of my second day's shoot. It's tethering was rock solid and many times faster than LR.

I wish I could say that Capture One is the perfect solution but it's simply not for the following reasons:

In LR I usually convert all my CR2s to DNG which wraps all the metadata into the file. However, while C1 can export DNGs they are not like Adobe DNGs. Any changes to the RAW data made in C1 is NOT bundled into the DNG which makes them pointless for post production workflow.

It seems like once you commit to C1 RAW processing you've committed to living in their universe which is parallel to Adobe but not interchangeable. After establishing a robust Adobe workflow for a large image library I find this confounding.

So I'm still sitting on the fence weighing the pros and cons of switching to C1 until Adobe gets it's act together and fixes the Tether issues. For smaller jobs without time constraints, I'll stick with LR. For intensive high volume productions I'll use C1 and will have to figure out a new system for cataloging, key wording, etc across the two worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2013 Nov 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LightRoom 4.4 on my laptop with my D4 tethered. No problems. Then I transfer them into LightRoom 5.2 CC. No problems. I think I am going to get the Nikon WT 5 and then there is no more cables at all. It is good for 590 feet.

Tunney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exprienced the same issue with D800E.. but it's not only with LR .. I think this may be a Maverick issue..

I was truying to use the FoCal program to adjust autofocus for some lenses and I could finish the task due to disconnection problems.

I'm using a iMac 27" late 2012 and a 3 meter USB3 tether cable... so without touching the USB cable and camera.. I rebooted on the same hardware into a windows 7 64 bit partition.. installed the FoCal program .. and it worked like a charm... no disconnections at all.

So my assumption is that this is related to the Mac OS...

I had the same issues last year with importing images to LR.. that was solved by using a card reader instead of using he USB 3 cable provided with the camera.

Has someone found a soluiton to this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a solution, but not a perfect solution. I was having this problem with LR5 before upgrading to Mavericks from 10.8. The best I have to offer at this time is a repeater cable. It's cut down on my disconnects quite a bit, but not completely.  I purchased a 3-Meter SIIG USB 3.0 Active Repeater Cable from Amazon.com

For about $40US I cut down on my headaches considerably, but I need need a couple Tylonol from time to time.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053YLWRS/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's still my belief that Adobe has missed dotting an "i" or crossing a "t" somewhere in the LR 5 code for tethering. It didn't happen with LR4.

D.A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I get the problem using other software too so I don't think the problem is in the ADOBE side but more on the Mac OS side...

I was using the FoCal autofocus adjusting software and I still experience the disconnections.

///D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link from adobe that solved the problem. I don't know why no one from Adobe has chimed in on these threads to drop the link off. However...

It works and it's simple.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/your-camera-disconnects-tethering.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't put it to the test yet but thanks for sharing that info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved this in my case at least...

I used a USB3 hub that provides power.. this did the trick.. so now everything works perfectly between my iMac and my Camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D.A.; that link finally seems to cure the disconnet problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

I have a Canon 5D mk iii, Macbook pro retina, and LR 5. I have gone through every solution on the above mentioned list, to no avail.

This is really frustrating, and it is costing me time and accessibility.

Adobe NEEDS to fix this problem ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as heeryta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here!

My setup: brand new Macbook Pro Retina with LR5 and a Canon 5d mkII and new UBS cables. When the camera is connected I take some test shots LR5 loads some images but then it stops and I have to restart the tethering.. I can't even complete a whole shoot.

My plan was to shoot more tethered but I am only getting frustrated.

Maybe Adobe should solve this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe didn't make much noise about this, but they did post a solution. This solved my problems with D800 and Ds1 MKIII - http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/your-camera-disconnects-tethering.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2014 Dec 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! But I have all ready tried this without succes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I love lightroom and all, but this disconnecting issue is garbage.  I finally got sick of the disconnecting problem.  I would shoot exactly 10 pictures and then things would just sort of freeze up and lightroom would just sit there spinning and waiting for the camera.  This is total horsecrap when a client is waiting for you to take pictures.  Using Lightroom 5.7 you think they would have already fixed this issue.  Frankly I think it is super unprofessional to have to restart everything repeatedly while a client is waiting for you to shoot in the studio, not to mention loosing frames in the process.   I found the best solution EVER.   I installed P h a s e 1  C a p t u r e  o n e 8.   I did this on a whim during a session while LR kept disconnecting from my Nikon D800, and figured it could not hurt since they have a 60 day 2 seat trial.  I was able to finish the job on the other software, and the camera did not even disconnect once.   Not just that but it was significantly faster at acquiring the images.  I am done using LR for tethered shooting, no more of this garbage, and the new software is reasonable enough.    I have no affiliation with p h a s e 1, I just decided to try it in a pinch and it saved me.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines